Ticks

RobDooley

And it's not just meat. Many beans have some sort of pork or beef agent in them. No collard greens (bacon). Most hot dogs and brats that are labeled as turkey or chicken.......USE PORK CASINGS. In all of our gumbos, we have to leave out the kielbasa until the shrimp is done, to get a bowl for my dad.

I have to do a lot of research and food prep around for him on our guy weekends at our cabin. There are usually work arounds, but the extra thinking going into everything wears on the brain.
some people have the allergic reaction when they drink milk. I don't. They recommend not eating anything that has a hoof. I have no problem with bologna (anything but meat in those) or hot dogs.

JCDEERMAN

some people have the allergic reaction when they drink milk. I don't. They recommend not eating anything that has a hoof. I have no problem with bologna (anything but meat in those) or hot dogs.
He had a reaction to hot dogs. They were labeled as 100% turkey dogs, he ate them, passed out and fell down a flight of stairs (in pork casings). The allergy causes him to pass out. Frightening, especially with him being 74. We called and wrote a letter to the company.

He goes and gets tested every 6 months in hopes the allergy goes away. The last test showed he had a small allergy to anything dairy. Likely causing the constant 6 month runny nose. SO, he now has cut out milk, ice cream and anything with dairy.

F ticks

Last edited:

RobDooley

He had a reaction to hot dogs. They were labeled as 100% turkey dogs, he ate them, passed out and fell down a flight of stairs. The allergy causes him to pass out. Frightening, especially with him being 74.

He goes and gets tested every 6 months in hopes the allergy goes away. The last test showed he had a small allergy to anything dairy. Likely causing the constant 6 month runny nose. SO, he now has cut out milk, ice cream and anything with dairy.

F ticks
that is horrible. the Alpha Gal can stay around for years. I already got two ticks of me this summer. I ain't got a chance yet.

BSK

After avoiding beef for 20 years, my Alpha-Gal went away. However, I was left with some strange sensitivities I did not have before. I'm now sensitive but not allergic to peanut products. I can eat a few handfuls of peanuts, no problem. But much more than that and I get severe intestinal cramping. Same goes for anything made with peanut oil, including breads, like pizza dough. I have to be careful when buying breads to make sure they aren't made with peanut oil. I have to avoid Indian food as it is usually cooked in peanut oil.

RobDooley

After avoiding beef for 20 years, my Alpha-Gal went away. However, I was left with some strange sensitivities I did not have before. I'm now sensitive but not allergic to peanut products. I can eat a few handfuls of peanuts, no problem. But much more than that and I get severe intestinal cramping. Same goes for anything made with peanut oil, including breads, like pizza dough. I have to be careful when buying breads to make sure they aren't made with peanut oil. I have to avoid Indian food as it is usually cooked in peanut oil.
I'm curious to know the extent of your allergic reaction(s). Mine would always start in my right palm. Burning and itching. Then it would spread to the rest of my body. Welts or hives; increased heart rate; swelling of lips and face. The itching is torture. Duration 20-30 minutes. An epi-pen would stop it immediately. However, I now take a beta blocker and it blocks the epinephrine.

BSK

My reactions would start exactly 6 hours after consuming beef. I would first notice my ears itching. It would rapidly progress to hives all over, especially anywhere where close fit tight, like waistline, collar area, socks, etc. In the worst reactions (had consumed a considerable amount of animal fat), full-blown anaphylaxis. Ended up in the hospital a few times.

RobDooley

My reactions would start exactly 6 hours after consuming beef. I would first notice my ears itching. It would rapidly progress to hives all over, especially anywhere where close fit tight, like waistline, collar area, socks, etc. In the worst reactions (had consumed a considerable amount of animal fat), full-blown anaphylaxis. Ended up in the hospital a few times.
thanks for sharing

Ski

Truth be known, if any one of us did everything barefooted, we'd probably still be more likely to be killed by a tick than a rattlesnake?

My money's on the tick. People are afraid of rattlesnakes but I personally have never felt threatened by one. I even unknowingly stepped on two of them while dove hunting, as in under my boot. They lit up the rattles and dang near gave me a heart attack, but neither one struck. They very well could have. A copperhead certainly would have. But they didn't. They just wanted my fat butt off of them. Turns out early fall is mating season for them, hence why they were together. From then on I'm looking down while dove hunting rather than at the sky like I should be.

JCDEERMAN

My money's on the tick. People are afraid of rattlesnakes but I personally have never felt threatened by one. I even unknowingly stepped on two of them while dove hunting, as in under my boot. They lit up the rattles and dang near gave me a heart attack, but neither one struck. They very well could have. A copperhead certainly would have. But they didn't. They just wanted my fat butt off of them. Turns out early fall is mating season for them, hence why they were together.
Dang Ski, I probably would have passed out and landed on top of them. Then they would have struck my neck a few times with my luck.

TheLBLman

I believe more people die annually from tick bites than snake bites,
and this would be even more the case if you pull out those dying from snake bites incurred in religious ceremonies (and refusing treatment for their bites).

redblood

There are more than i have ever seen! Its not just a summer problem anymore, i work outside and have them every week of the year, they no longer go away for any period of time!
Agree. Thats because it never get really cold for long periods of time anymore. You keep up with it when you have to bust ice for cattle. In the 80s and 90s, i would have to bust ice all the time so cows cows could get a drink. Thick ice. I havent seen a pond frozen solid in 2 decades or more

Ski

ever had seed ticks? I know you have.

Is that the same as oak mites? The ones that look like you are covered in dust......except it's not dust. It's thousands of tiny ticks/mites. By the time you realize they're there it's too late. Stuff nightmares are made of. Never heard of long term diseases from them, though.

knightrider

Put out two cameras saturday was out of the truck for a total of ten minutes in ankle high grass with treated rubber boots and pants and still got 7 total 😡

ImThere

No doubt Permethrin works. Unfortunately, it gives my asthma fits! I have to apply it wearing a mask, then let the cloths dry. Still bothers my asthma a bit, then, but better than having a body covered in ticks! It is fun watching the little blood suckers walk up your pants and then just drop off.
Mix it in 5gallon buckets. Dip clothes in bucket, wring them out, hang dry