Chiggers and Ticks

Andy S.

I've been using 0.5% Permethrin (point five percent, one half percent, etc) for years and it will definitely keep ticks and chiggers at bay IF APPLIED CORRECTLY. Apply to all clothes the night before you wear them and allow to dry overnight to provide maximum protection.

Shanman

Just like Andy and Buzz, spray the day before and let air dry then I spray down before I head into the field. I always lift up my pant legs and spray my boots and socks down at this time also, even though they were sprayed down the night before along with my clothes. I also like to wear lite khaki colored bdu pants out scouting, helps you see the larger ticks better so you can get them off. Did this 2 weeks ago at Catoosa, because of the early morning dew and lightweight pants I stayed soaked from the waist down till noon. Picked about 20 ticks off throughout the day but never got one on my skin. I also strip down in the garage and go straight to the shower. Just my 2cents but it's worked great for me.

MUP

Like I mentioned earlier I've watched ticks rear up and fall backwards off my pants when treated with permetherin, even find them dead in the creases of my pants that have been tucked into my boots, but I'll still get chigger bites on my lower legs . Must be these East TN. Chiggers LOL

Mr_TTT2

Besides spraying down clothes, I'm going to do a new thing this year, I got a small compact dryer $200 to put my clothes in after each hunt. I used the dryer to get my clothes season ready, faster drying clothes then outside, but plan to put clothes, probably pants and top shirt in dryer for 10 minutes when I get home after hunt. I read somewhere that heat will kill ticks. So if there are any ticks still holding on but not dead, they will die from heat. Also got dryer for rainy deer hunts, my clothes always smell like mildew once wet.

infoman jr.

Last Saturday I wore over the calf socks and got no chiggers. Sunday, I wore socks that barely came over my leather boots and got eaten up. I'll have to investigate further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlanecr500

I wear permethrin treated pants that are tucked into my treated Muck boots. Haven't gotten a chigger or tick bite in 5 years following this method. Ticks and chiggers go after carbon dioxide that is released thru your skin to find a host site. The idea is to force them to travel a good distance on treated material. They will not make it to your skin.

Latest posts