Chiggers and Ticks

calledin

I'm already feeding the chiggers out there! What's y'alls best way to keep clean from these pesty bugs? I sprayed down with 3 different items and still got chiggers.

fairchaser

I keep a spray bottle of permethrin in the truck and spray down my clothes each time I go out. Since it has a cumulative effect it does the trick. I rarely have a tick or get a chigger bite.

Mr.Bro

fairchaser":1rvl3n06 said:
I keep a spray bottle of permethrin in the truck and spray down my clothes each time I go out. Since it has a cumulative effect it does the trick. I rarely have a tick or get a chigger bite.
Bingo! I too mix my own permethrin and have a dedicated pair of old jeans and tee shirt I use when checking cameras and early season hunting. Cannt remember last time I had chiggers or found a tick.

Remington742

I've been using some Sawyer's max deet tick and chigger spray that's just deet but haven't had a tick or chigger since I started using it.

Andy S.

Permethrin! Treat ALL articles of clothing the night before so it has time to dry and provide maximum protection. I also treat the insides of my waistline and first 6" from leg openings just in case they get past the exterior Permethrin barrier, which rarely happens these days.

JeepKuntry

I spray permethrin on my boots and outer wear. I also wear the long sleeve and pant lightweight compression top, bottom, and socks. Socks pulled over the compression gear. Also tuck pants in snake boots that zip up and are treated.

Bwales95

I tuck my pants into my boots and tape them up. I'll then say a small prayer asking that they leave me alone. I'm a magnet for the little biting devils!!

Buzzard Breath

Andy S.":14f4e37k said:
Permethrin! Treat ALL articles of clothing the night before so it has time to dry and provide maximum protection. I also treat the insides of my waistline and first 6" from leg openings just in case they get past the exterior Permethrin barrier, which rarely happens these days.
I do pretty much exactly what Andy does. I treat all my clothes as well as the inside of each pant leg bottom and along the waistline. I make sure I also treat my socks and shoes too.

smyrnagc

Been using Repel Permithrin for years and spraying cloths one to two days before season Works like a charm! Haven't had a tick in years and chiggers are only on hands/wrists outside of the sleeve. I also spray my boots before hunting. I actually watched a tick on one of my rubber boots crawl around and die!

It is 5% Permithrin and water based...orderless.

Here is Walmart's price:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Repel-Permet ... e/49662589

calledin

thanks All. I had a can of Sawyers and it's only 0.5% permethrin. I'm thinking that's the difference on the chiggers if you mix your on and mix it 10.0%.

jlanecr500

smyrnagc":3j4g6qw5 said:
Been using Repel Permithrin for years and spraying cloths one to two days before season Works like a charm! Haven't had a tick in years and chiggers are only on hands/wrists outside of the sleeve. I also spray my boots before hunting. I actually watched a tick on one of my rubber boots crawl around and die!

It is 5% Permithrin and water based...orderless.

Here is Walmart's price:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Repel-Permet ... e/49662589

PLEASE look at the item description again. It IS .5%

Don't mix permethrin at 5%. It is not needed. If you soak your gear in a (.5) POINT FIVE percent mix, let them air dry, you can watch ticks fall off the dead.

I got Lyme disease in 2013 turkey hunting and was forced to quit my life long hobby of dirtbike riding. I thought my days were numbered. Sold bikes and all. Since that time, my Lyme went mostly dormant....until June 9th of this year. I got back into riding this year and ended up with a tick bite that yielded Lyme disease. In the thousands of miles I've logged on 2 wheels in tight woods, I had never gotten a tick til this year. I knew I had it again within hours. It's like the bacteria got in and said "Is anybody home?" The dormant bacteria answered immediately and all those old symptoms came right back.

Do use permethrin but DON'T mix it beyond a maximum of 1%. It is a nerve agent. Ticks are no joke. Trust me, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

The OTC creme used to treat scabies has 1% permethrin.
We need a sticky on proper permethrin mix concentration.

Latest posts