Thorny

Bgoodman30

Not sure on numbers but area reports were really bad today. Several I talked to called it a season today said ducks left. This is not uncommon for the area when there is rising backwaters. The White lake area bottoms get its water last after the obion upstream crests and starts falling out. The ducks will be back but may not be until wed or later when they follow water downstream. Hopefully if the TC pool you're are hunting is holding birds and they haven't been pressured all weekend may be good.

Kritter Gitter

Tuesday we had 15 teal, 3 spoonies, and a greenhead.
Wednesday 4 teal, a last minute greenhead a a very long drive home.
Tennessee is not the state to duck hunt all day then drive almost end to end (390 miles).
Lots of high fliers going north.
We did that the other weekend. Aint much fun, especially when your hunt wasnt that good! (our hunt was very poor)

Bgoodman30

Had TC6 for youth hunt ran nice roost out. Had a few teal close calls early but kids not ready. One of only days you can hunt sunset and almost zero came to roost. No shots fired. Slowest youth hunt I've ever seen. Par for course this season glad it's over…

Hawk

Had TC6 for youth hunt ran nice roost out. Had a few teal close calls early but kids not ready. One of only days you can hunt sunset and almost zero came to roost. No shots fired. Slowest youth hunt I've ever seen. Par for course this season glad it's over…
Traveling I-155 North of Thorny you.could see over 100 acres of water on private ground above the pools that no one was hunting and it was covered with ducks. Most likely the ones you jumped.

TheLBLman

Traveling I-155 North of Thorny you.could see over 100 acres of water on private ground above the pools that no one was hunting and it was covered with ducks.
The increase in private lands catering to duck habitat & duck hunting have somewhat become defacto waterfowl "refuges"?

I think this is overall more good than bad, while it can both concentrate as well as spread the ducks, depending on the day, water levels, etc.?

Many days it does end up more "bad" for the public land waterfowlers, but every hunter on private is also one less on public. With all the waterfowl "crops" being placed or left on private grounds now, isn't this good long-term for waterfowl populations?

Hawk

The increase in private lands catering to duck habitat & duck hunting have somewhat become defacto waterfowl "refuges"?

I think this is overall more good than bad, while it can both concentrate as well as spread the ducks, depending on the day, water levels, etc.?

Many days it does end up more "bad" for the public land waterfowlers, but every hunter on private is also one less on public. With all the waterfowl "crops" being placed or left on private grounds now, isn't this good long-term for waterfowl populations?
I agree with what you say but that water was due to recent rain and will be gone when the Obion falls. Had regular duck season been open there would have been someone trying to kill those ducks. Me!

Bgoodman30

Traveling I-155 North of Thorny you.could see over 100 acres of water on private ground above the pools that no one was hunting and it was covered with ducks. Most likely the ones you jumped.

Probably I think there was a concentration north of us. Most likely the roost we ran out bounced to another concentration and never left.

Bgoodman30

More water and crops always a good thing for waterfowl. On a normal year between the ducks and snows lots of standing food gets eaten out and ducks bounce around. This year the numbers were so low most every field I have been too has tons of food left.

Bgoodman30

Oh I forgot to mention we left our empty jet sled on the levee when we went to lunch and came back and it was gone... Stole...

Just par for the course this season..

Latest posts