Thorny Cypress Pool 2 Status?

rsimms

I'm heading out to hunt Thorny Cypress Pool #2 Friday-Sunday with friends. We've hunted it before so we're not totally unfamiliar with it.

I'm just curious if anyone has hunted it recently and can share any info:
-- Ducks using it much/any?
-- Is there any decent cover left to hide/hunt?
-- Any suggestions on where to set up?
-- Anything else you might be willing to share?

"Thanks" in advance!

Thorny Cypress Pool 2 Map.jpg
Thorny Cypress Pool 2 Google.jpg

GUNNERX2

T2 has always been on my list but I've not been fortunate enough to get drawn. The year we had T1, the T2 hunters were set up on the west side of the pool in the trees and did very well. The year we had T3, the T2 hunters were set up on the northeast side of the pool in what looked like a utility trailer with a blind on it. They did very well. Those set ups could have been weather driven or just pre-decided and they made it work.

Dodge Man

I have been drawn for that pool several times and had some great hunts on it. But it has been several years since I put in or hunted it. I have always heard you want rain or bad weather for that pool. Most definitely my best hunts on it were in the rain.

tickweed

Just west of pool two on private land. Lots of water out, Obion, forked deer.saw very few birds yest.duck nor geese. I believe most are up local bottoms. We took our first zero of the season yest. I do think maybe you should kill some. Good luck

Bgoodman30

Good numbers on WL. Obion backwater pushing in and will spread birds around. River expected to crest this weekend. Should be good.

Bgoodman30

have you got a good recent count on whites lake?

I haven't looked at it myself in the last couple days but the count is 98k. Neighbors said its more than that..? Other neighbor said they had birds show up Monday. I am not sure it can hold more than that until the eastern cells get water. Water is pushing in now and should start backfilling throughout the weekend. It won't be enough water to fill the whole thing though...

Bgoodman30

We are on western end . We have been doing well, but since rain, we arent seeing any ducks. I figure they are scattered. They may have 98k, but they arent coming out on our end to amount to anything.

Yeah we're on the NE side. They shot em pretty good last two days. I haven't been since last Thursday but will head over in the next day or so. Usually it gets real good with a backwater after it crests but 15.7 ain't much of a backwater.

Bgoodman30

We are on western end . We have been doing well, but since rain, we arent seeing any ducks. I figure they are scattered. They may have 98k, but they arent coming out on our end to amount to anything.

Yeah I imagine they're flying upstream with all that new water up the bottoms. The obion is about to crest up around gooch and they will find their way back when it starts falling.

SKFOOTER

I'm heading out to hunt Thorny Cypress Pool #2 Friday-Sunday with friends. We've hunted it before so we're not totally unfamiliar with it.

I'm just curious if anyone has hunted it recently and can share any info:
-- Ducks using it much/any?
-- Is there any decent cover left to hide/hunt?
-- Any suggestions on where to set up?
-- Anything else you might be willing to share?

"Thanks" in advance!

View attachment 162675View attachment 162676
Any update on your hunt so far???

rsimms

Short version... we blanked on Friday. :( Saturday brought some weather and more cooperative birds. We killed 12, various species. Short hunt Sunday AM. We killed three. The biggest issue was the INCREDIBLE number of pintails. We watched thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of pintails come off refuge. They would work high, often making a half-dozen high circles and then gone. Over and over and over again. It was cool because we seemed to watching ducks nearly the entire time, but aggravating as crap. I hate finicky pintails. They're worse than gadwalls! We managed to kill one sprig that screwed up Sunday morning.
WARNING! If you're going to hunt Pool 2, you better have an ATV with some serious mudder tires, or be prepared for a long slog in the mud. The road from parking area to pool is a nightmare. My buddy refused to take his Kubota in Sunday for fear of getting it stuck. You can see a video in the Comments of this Facebook Post:

IMG_2190.JPGIMG_2207.JPGIMG_2208.JPGIMG_2214.JPGold_timers_hunt.jpg

Bgoodman30

Seems like the pintails only thing flying over here… Mallards on WL sitting and swimming in the backwater…

nwsg76

Short version... we blanked on Friday. :( Saturday brought some weather and more cooperative birds. We killed 12, various species. Short hunt Sunday AM. We killed three. The biggest issue was the INCREDIBLE number of pintails. We watched thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of pintails come off refuge. They would work high, often making a half-dozen high circles and then gone. Over and over and over again. It was cool because we seemed to watching ducks nearly the entire time, but aggravating as crap. I hate finicky pintails. They're worse than gadwalls! We managed to kill one sprig that screwed up Sunday morning.
WARNING! If you're going to hunt Pool 2, you better have an ATV with some serious mudder tires, or be prepared for a long slog in the mud. The road from parking area to pool is a nightmare. My buddy refused to take his Kubota in Sunday for fear of getting it stuck. You can see a video in the Comments of this Facebook Post:

View attachment 163578View attachment 163577View attachment 163579View attachment 163581View attachment 163580

Glad you had a good hunt. Lucky you killed anything with "old charlie" hunting with ya. I know there were plenty of tales being told in the blind.