Thorny Cypress Pool #2

karp

Hey guys, me and some buddies got drawn for pool 2 at thorny cypress for next weekend but have never hunted that pool before. We drew pool 1 a couple times and heard a ton of shooting in 2 but never got to hunt it. Any advice on where/how to set up or what kind of spread to put out? Thanks in advance

Dodge Man

Its going to be rough hunting those pools Friday morning with the low around 15 deg Thursday night. The ducks usually roost in that pool, probably will be up around the willow trees on the South end. That is the deepest part of the pool and might not be frozen. I have hunted it at least 10 times. Most hunts we killed several, a few times were some of the best hunts of my life. The guys that use to own that field before the state bought it would only hunt it if they had a North wind and some rain. So the forecast Sunday might be good for you.

GUNNERX2

I've not hunted pool 2 but have had 1 & 3 and witnessed 2 smack 'em. When we had 1, the guys were set up on the trees between 1 & 2. The weather was rainy and a south wind and they did a lot of shooting. When we had 3, it was very cold and 4-6" of ice in our hole but they had the pump running so we had some open water. The guys that were hunting 2 had some kind of blind set up, maybe an aframe, on the east side. The ducks only came off the refuge 1 day and they got a fair amount of shooting. I don't know the pump set up for 2 or if 2 gets it's water by gravity from 3.

karp

Its going to be rough hunting those pools Friday morning with the low around 15 deg Thursday night. The ducks usually roost in that pool, probably will be up around the willow trees on the South end. That is the deepest part of the pool and might not be frozen. I have hunted it at least 10 times. Most hunts we killed several, a few times were some of the best hunts of my life. The guys that use to own that field before the state bought it would only hunt it if they had a North wind and some rain. So the forecast Sunday might be good for you.
Don't have it till next weekend so hopefully the weather will be decent, I appreciate the advice

karp

I've not hunted pool 2 but have had 1 & 3 and witnessed 2 smack 'em. When we had 1, the guys were set up on the trees between 1 & 2. The weather was rainy and a south wind and they did a lot of shooting. When we had 3, it was very cold and 4-6" of ice in our hole but they had the pump running so we had some open water. The guys that were hunting 2 had some kind of blind set up, maybe an aframe, on the east side. The ducks only came off the refuge 1 day and they got a fair amount of shooting. I don't know the pump set up for 2 or if 2 gets it's water by gravity from 3.

That's what's were planning on taking us a aframe, I've heard several people it's the pool to have and when we were hunting 1 it seemed like pool 2 was in the better spot

Kevin

We had it for the opener and used layout blinds on the road on the east side in the pocket where the Corn starts. We had good hunts.