Thorny Cypress Pool 2 Status?

4scout

Pintails are definitely the toughest ducks for us to work in close enough for a shot. Seems like 99.9% of the time they circle 5+ times, looking like they are going to come in on the next pass and then eventually fly off. Not sure what to do that would help...anyone have any recommendations that work for you...thanks

rsimms

Glad you had a good hunt. Lucky you killed anything with "old charlie" hunting with ya. I know there were plenty of tales being told in the blind.
We added it up. Assuming we all started duck hunting when we were about 15 years old, the "olde fartes" in this group had a combined 268 years of duck hunting under our belts. We wondered how many combined waterfowl we've all killed. If we knew it, it would likely be an obscene number.

nwsg76

We added it up. Assuming we all started duck hunting when we were about 15 years old, the "olde fartes" in this group had a combined 268 years of duck hunting under our belts. We wondered how many combined waterfowl we've all killed. If we knew it, it would likely be an obscene number.
I would not post that number publicly. I think PETA would burst into flames if they read it.
Lots of good guys,wisdom, experience that will never be duplicated.

MickThompson

Pintails are definitely the toughest ducks for us to work in close enough for a shot. Seems like 99.9% of the time they circle 5+ times, looking like they are going to come in on the next pass and then eventually fly off. Not sure what to do that would help...anyone have any recommendations that work for you...thanks
Pintails land about as often as grebes fly I'm convinced.

I know it happens even though I've never seen it!

Smashdn

Pintails seem to like big open spots where they can see a long way. I'm sure there are exceptions and someone will post about the limits they killed in a timber hole but it has been my experience they like fields and big marshes and water.

4scout

I can tell you this, pins do not like canadas

That's good to know..we did have a few Canada goose decoys out.. thanks

Harold Money jr

I'm sure y'all had pintail whistles and I'd bet you used em. On our best pintail days ever we quit using a mallard hen call all together and only used whistles. We had several groups act like pintails when we used mallard hen calls with whistles mixed in circle, circle, circle then geek out or lose interest. We've tried no calling and have had mixed results, our best by far was straight whistles, mainly pintail calls with even a drake mallard thrown in and wigeon whistles to mix it up a bit. I has worked for us when the large numbers of pintails are migrating. The mallard hen call seems to scare em more than anything. That's our experience.

webfeet7

I can't believe you let those Duggans hunt with you

Last edited:

4scout

I'm sure y'all had pintail whistles and I'd bet you used em. On our best pintail days ever we quit using a mallard hen call all together and only used whistles. We had several groups act like pintails when we used mallard hen calls with whistles mixed in circle, circle, circle then geek out or lose interest. We've tried no calling and have had mixed results, our best by far was straight whistles, mainly pintail calls with even a drake mallard thrown in and wigeon whistles to mix it up a bit. I has worked for us when the large numbers of pintails are migrating. The mallard hen call seems to scare em more than anything. That's our experience.
We've tried all of this too but next time will focus on not using the hen mallard call and see what happens.. thanks

On sunny days we do use spinners and they'll drop from 200 yds high to 100 yds in no time, then circle, circle then fly off... beautiful to watch but will drive you crazy...

Hymie3

Hunted pool 2 today. there were five of us drawn and three backed out and didn't show. We had a two man limit today. Took a while but we made it. We had birds the entire time we were hunting today. Missed a few lost a couple. The refuge is absolutely loaded. Hopefully get a few tomorrow. Yes. Loaded with pintails and yes they are stubborn.
Did manage 1 beautiful bull this morning.

Attachments

• D01CF649-2F4F-48B8-9634-417E315CEAB7.jpeg
    D01CF649-2F4F-48B8-9634-417E315CEAB7.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 81

WilcoKen

Hunted pool 2 today. there were five of us drawn and three backed out and didn't show. We had a two man limit today. Took a while but we made it. We had birds the entire time we were hunting today. Missed a few lost a couple. The refuge is absolutely loaded. Hopefully get a few tomorrow. Yes. Loaded with pintails and yes they are stubborn.
A great achievement and also a great picture. Congratulations!

rsimms

Excellent! How'd you like the road getting in there? :)

Latest posts