Thorny Cypress Report

rsimms

So, for those like me who were lucky enough to get drawn for a hunt at Thorny Cypress WMA, here's my report. I got drawn for Pool 1 Nov. 27-28. Corn/water looked great!! Weather was decent... in 30's in AM, calm but wind built through the day.

We had a few birds work Saturday AM, but very few. And as always, it takes a little time to figure out HOW they're working your area. We had to reposition after watching a few ducks set down where we weren't. Bottomline... on Saturday we scratched out three greenheads. Only missed one.

Had high hopes Sunday since we felt like we knew better how/where to set up. Didn't matter. Except for a couple birds that came in just BEFORE legal time, our pool was dead, dead, dead!!! Meanwhile, right next door in Pool 2, the guys were POUNDING them. They weren't 200 yards away but the two pools are separated by a treeline so we couldn't see exactly what they were shooting at, but they shot and shot a LOT in the first hour. And most of it didn't sound like skybusting.

We were astounded that they could could be seeing/shooting that much while we weren't seeing crap except a handful of high flyers. It was VERY frustrating. We bailed out about 8:30 (Central) for the long drive home. It was the third time I've hunted on Thorny Cypress. I've yet to have had what a I'd call a good hunt. I'm beginning to wonder why it's so dang popular and such a hard draw????

The last photo below is my dog, Britney, asking, "What the hell????

IMG_7751.JPGIMG_7775.JPGIMG_7757.JPGIMG_7758 copy.jpgIMG_7776 copy.jpgIMG_7780 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Kritter Gitter

It all depends on the push of birds! We have had those same days and we have also had days we limited out in no time. Its just hit or miss, kinda like everything else. We drive from over near Kingsport area so I understand the drive, its a bit long! Good luck for the rest of the season though!

Bgoodman30

So, for those like me who were lucky enough to get drawn for a hunt at Thorny Cypress WMA, here's my report. I got drawn for Pool 1 Nov. 27-28. Corn/water looked great!! Weather was decent... in 30's in AM, calm but wind built through the day.

We had a few birds work Saturday AM, but very few. And as always, it takes a little time to figure out HOW they're working your area. We had to reposition after watching a few ducks set down where we weren't. Bottomline... on Saturday we scratched out three greenheads. Only missed one.

Had high hopes Sunday since we felt like we knew better how/where to set up. Didn't matter. Except for a couple birds that came in just BEFORE legal time, our pool was dead, dead, dead!!! Meanwhile, right next door in Pool 2, the guys were POUNDING them. They weren't 200 yards away but the two pools are separated by a treeline so we couldn't see exactly what they were shooting at, but they shot and shot a LOT in the first hour. And most of it didn't sound like skybusting.

We were astounded that they could could be seeing/shooting that much while we weren't seeing crap except a handful of high flyers. It was VERY frustrating. We bailed out about 8:30 (Central) for the long drive home. It was the third time I've hunted on Thorny Cypress. I've yet to have had what a I'd call a good hunt. I'm beginning to wonder why it's so dang popular and such a hard draw????

The last photo below is my dog, Britney, asking, "What the hell????

View attachment 121124View attachment 121127View attachment 121125View attachment 121126View attachment 121128View attachment 121129
]Man those pictures are great. How did you make them like that? Filter?

Displaced_Vol

Thanks for the report @rsimms
I'll be in pool 1 here in a few weeks. Am I wrong or could we use some more water in that pool/all of west TN?
How was the hide? If the corn still looks that good I am tempted to just try & hide in it.
You going to write up another article for the paper on this trip too?

rsimms

Thanks for the report @rsimms
I'll be in pool 1 here in a few weeks. Am I wrong or could we use some more water in that pool/all of west TN?
How was the hide? If the corn still looks that good I am tempted to just try & hide in it.
You going to write up another article for the paper on this trip too?
I felt like the water was perfect. They said the pool was "full." But later in the season, some more water may help ducks reach corn ears. However lots will likely fall or get knocked down. We had plenty of cover to hide. But hard to say what it might be like "in a few weeks?"
No, no article this time. Since I didn't fall in the water or miss stupid easy shots, it was otherwise pretty uneventful. :) Here's previous story from three years ago for those who might wonder: https://newschannel9.com/sports/outdoors/timing-is-everything-even-on-thorny-cypress

GUNNERX2

Thought of one more question, and I think I know the answer, but is there any use for full bodies in #1?

I've hunted #1 and really there's no reason to bring full bodies. It would be difficult to set them up unless you had extensions on the bases. You can drive up to the ponds (2 ponds split by a gravel drive) and unload your gear, then drive back to the gate and park.

Displaced_Vol

I've hunted #1 and really there's no reason to bring full bodies. It would be difficult to set them up unless you had extensions on the bases. You can drive up to the ponds (2 ponds split by a gravel drive) and unload your gear, then drive back to the gate and park.
That's kind of what I figured but thought I best double check. Thanks @GUNNERX2

Displaced_Vol

My very late report from Thorny Cypress Pool 1:

I was drawn 12/17 - 12/19. Unfortunately we lost my grandfather right about midnight on Saturday/Sunday 12/12. We had the funeral evening of the 16th and buried him Friday morning the 17th in Knoxville. I may do another post about that, not because I'm looking for sympathy but there is a chance some folks here might have known him or the deli he ran for 40+ years in Knoxville. Anyways back to the ducks, or lack thereof.

I had one friend interested in making the trip and he is still somewhat new to this so he's still pretty mad at them. I had rented a place up right beside reelfoot and of course the tornadoes had gone through that weekend before also. I heard from the owner and he said all was fine at his place and to come on down. I encouraged my friend to go on down and try to hunt somewhere, especially since I had already paid for the rental. He ended up going out on Friday and hunted around west TN solo Saturday. It was a foggy day, he got a shot on a group of 3 but didn't connect. He saw a "good amount" of birds moving throughout the day.

I honestly would not have gone if it hadn't been for him being out there. I felt like I ought to at least go out for the last day of my draw so he could hunt it. Saturday night into Sunday morning a small cold front was coming in and temps dropped 20 degrees from when I pulled out of my driveway until I arrived at the foot. I knew better than to get my hopes up but I thought the north winds, cold & clear skies might help us out on Sunday. I didn't expect it to be a big migration driving front, but when it is stale like this I just look for anything different to try and shake things up and encourage them to move some. Also, they had just updated the survey numbers and the refuge out there had gone from 30k to 60k, so I let that play into my misguided optimism also.

Flushed ducks out of corn in both sides of the pool (north and south, 1 is divided by a gravel drive) and heard quite a few in the dark waiting on LST. Pintails, wigeons, woodies, gadwalls and mallards. Saw a handful zipping around as LST was approaching and we could have shot at one or two low flyers. If shooting time was 6:30, all flights had stopped by 7:00 am. We didn't see anything at all until 10:00 am and then some of the snow geese started to appear from the west, flying high and headed east.

Water was good in both the north and south pool. Corn still looked in good shape. We hunted the south side, we thought it just "looked" a little better. We hid in a small, thin pocket of saplings that gave OK cover but we kept waiting and expecting the sun to come up which would have been at our back. Never did see the sun and we would have been well enough to hunt along the edge of a bigger, thicker stand of saplings opposite end of the hole.

We were headed out by 10:30. Didn't hear a lot of shooting around us, a few volleys from some of the public holes and the most consistent shooting from what I assume was private based on direction. It was still a nice, albeit short getaway. Ate at Boyettes for the first time Saturday night and it was delicious. I always enjoy spending time on that part of the world where duck hunting is so much a part of the culture.

Bgoodman30

Looks like some guys had some decent success out of TC6 12/17-18. I had TC7 12/21 but did not hunt because I had to return home and work before Christmas break.

Latest posts