This years shot angles

csi-tech

I was lucky enough to get two great bucks this year. Both presented me with makeable, albeit, challenging shots. Both deer were well under 100 yards from my stand so I was willing to shift from my usual double lung/broadside shots. The first deer was quartering away sharply. I aimed back slightly and shot just behind the last rib. The bullet passed through the deer at a sharp angle, exiting the neck on the opposite side. The second deer was exactly opposite, quartering towards me. I aimed into the left upper side of the neck,shoulder and fired. The bullet traveled through the deer exiting right behind the last rib but in front of the diaphragm.

Both of these shots resulted in both deer dropping in their tracks and expiring within 2-3 seconds. I doubt I would take this shot past 100 yards but within 100 a well placed 30-06 shot causes so much hydrastatic shock to so much material that it is very effective. My biggest concern was the bullet going awry and entering the paunch. That close, however both bullets made a straight path through the deer and still had enough energy to exit the animal. Applying the archery basic of looking through the deer can pay off with a rifle in the right situation too. Sort of an end-of-season observation. Anybody out there make an unusual shot this year?