Thinking about trying Reelfoot

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
What I know about Reelfoot and $3.00 will buy you a coke these days.
Just thinking about going and dropping a cricket and maybe minnows down in and around the lily pads.
I figure a man could at least run into a few?
Anyone care to shed any insight?
Just a shame I don't know more about the lake since I can be there quicker than I can the lakes I normally fish.
Don't care nothing about ripping the lower unit off my boat though. :D

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
What will you be fishing for? Wouldnt think this would
Be an ideal time for crappie
Bream and / or crappie.
From what I have heard over the years, when it gets sho nuff hot, like it is now, Reelfoot pretty much dies.
Probably just go with my normal spot(s) and bring home some supper.

Jon54

Just thinking about going and dropping a cricket and maybe minnows down in and around the lily pads.
Just a shame I don't know more about the lake since I can be there quicker than I can the lakes I normally fish.
I recently visited Reelfoot for a photography workshop, headed by the West TN Naturalist who lives at Reelfoot. I asked if the fishing was any good now, and his reply was the only fishermen on the lake at this time of the year are tourist. Water level is low and hot. I do see his Facebook posts in the spring with some nice bream and crappy catches.

chrmayo

I believe if I was gonna try fishing at reelfoot and GiGi still works with you I would pick his brain a bit. He has been fishing that lake since he was a kid.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Every time I go in July, all I catch is catfish. They patrol the edges of the grass and readily take minnows, dead or alive.
I have come to the conclusion that there is a decree somewhere that "Popcorn is never ever to catch a crappie".
In all honesty, I went once in February, hired a guide for one day. Big 24 ft aluminum boat, full crappie rig, decked out. Never left sight of the boat ramp. Caught 10 using some of those ridiculous 14 foot poles with the very fragile tips.
I never touched a fish, I'm convinced they thought it was him fishing not me. He took the fish off, he baited the hook, he threw the line back out. My only job was to raise the rod tip when the floater layed over on its side and swing the fish to him in the back of the boat. After 10 I told him that was about all I could stand.
It's a really beautiful place in the summer and a great catfish destination!
I just leave enough prop in the water to move the boat, mostly just cracked above an idle.

Spurhunter

I've never crappie fished Reelfoot, but I love bass fishing there. Even in the summer I've had good days. The bass stay shallow year round (they don't have much choice) and that's how I prefer to fish. Frog/fluke fishing around the pads and flipping jigs or throwing spinnerbaits around cypress trees are usually effective. There are forests of cypress trees you can get in and stay in the shade all day.

Latest posts