Thinking about a new boat

Kyboy

I'm thinking about a new boat, should say a new to me boat. I currently have a 1654 lowe, previously had a 21 ft procraft bass boat, for you guys that have the bigger aluminum bass boats how do you like them compared to a fiberglass in similar size? I am wanting something that has alot of storage and that runs decently fast and that is stable. Won't be doing any serious tourney fishing maybe a few night tourneys. Any suggestions?

Kyboy

While they are out of my price range, if I were looking I would take a serious look at a Vexus.
Yeah...them are defiantly more than what I want spend. I am not completely sold on the Vexus either, I have heard some complaints on the hull quality. But you always hear the negative not the positive.

BigCityBubba

A friend of mine had a 19 ft alumacraft with a 150 johnson on it. I don't remember the model number. It was a dual console bass boat that was very stable boat and had allot of storage. It didn't handle rough water very well. The aluminum hull just bounced on top of the waves. The boat was rated for a 200hp and reading reviews, people with the 200hp were claiming speeds up to 90 mph. My friends boat with the 150hp was fast enough for me. The first time he took it out and opened it up, he left his tackle box on the front deck. The tackle box lifted up, flew over our heads, and exploded on the water behind us. This was not a light tackle box either.

Basically, it was a great boat with the exception of rough water. Put your rain gear on, is all I can say if you take it out on a windy early spring day on big water.

hunter0925

I have a ranger rt198p and really like it. I bought it just before johnny Morris bought out ranger. It isn't as stable as a glass boat but it is so far the most stable aluminum I have been in or on. The ride empresses me but once again it isn't a glass boat. Top speed has been roughly 56mph but usually I see it around 52ish. With all of that said, I am considering selling it to pay for some other things that have came up. My son isn't happy about the idea but I am giving it serious thoughts.

WTM

I have a ranger rt198p and really like it. I bought it just before johnny Morris bought out ranger. It isn't as stable as a glass boat but it is so far the most stable aluminum I have been in or on. The ride empresses me but once again it isn't a glass boat. Top speed has been roughly 56mph but usually I see it around 52ish. With all of that said, I am considering selling it to pay for some other things that have came up. My son isn't happy about the idea but I am giving it serious thoughts.
i saw an rt188 at walmart one day. very nice boats.

id say for stability with two 250 pound fellows at least a 95" beam is needed.

my 89" just doesnt cut it.

redblood

I bought a 2021 g3 sportsman 18ft with a 90 yamaha 4 stroke. It had 25 hours on it. Not a scratch. It came with 3 livescope compatible graphs and an 80 lb thrust ulterra with spotlock. Cash deal- saved me probably 10k over new. My advice- buy used . This boat is aluminum with a 92 inch beam. Incredible stable boat and i cant even hear the motor running if the motor is trimmed down

Kirk

I bought a 2023 Xpress X-19 with a 200 in January. (ordered it in July 2022). I am still breaking in the motor so I can't give a definite top end speed yet. It will hit 60 easy and I just haven't pushed it hard yet.
IMG_2337.jpeg

Last edited:

TN Larry

I have had a Triton 197 Magnum since 2009 and had a 176 Magnum prior to that. I absolutely love it and fits my style perfect. It is built great, rides well in rough water, and has a pad just like a fiberglass. They unfortunately don't make them anymore. I think they made them one year a few years ago called something else but not as thick aluminum. It had a 200 Optimax on it when I first got it and would run close to 70. After blowing the motor in 2016, I put a brand new 150 four stroke on it.

I got the itch last year for a new boat but decided I liked this boat too well and redone everything- new carpet, new seats, new switches, ultrex trolling motor, and recessed trolling motor pedal. I put powers poles on it this year.

F678976F-CC4E-421D-B8EF-956A25CC5828.jpeg

redblood

I have had a Triton 197 Magnum since 2009 and had a 176 Magnum prior to that. I absolutely love it and fits my style perfect. It is built great, rides well in rough water, and has a pad just like a fiberglass. They unfortunately don't make them anymore. I think they made them one year a few years ago called something else but not as thick aluminum. It had a 200 Optimax on it when I first got it and would run close to 70. After blowing the motor in 2016, I put a brand new 150 four stroke on it.

I got the itch last year for a new boat but decided I liked this boat too well and redone everything- new carpet, new seats, new switches, ultrex trolling motor, and recessed trolling motor pedal. I put powers poles on it this year.

View attachment 187025
Looks great!!!

buggyla

View attachment 187025
Now I want one😍

Kyboy

I have an Xpress X19 with a 175. It runs low 60s. 64.7 is my top speed. I love the boat. It's a great fishing platform. But it's not great in rough water. A lot of the Xpress owners say they are just as good as glass in rough water. That is simply not true.
I have looked at them hard. I was concerned about them not having a 200 on the back of it. I really like Triton tr196 these two seem to be the same boat just one is a glass boat and one is fiberglass.

BigCityBubba

I used to want to go faster but now that I am older, its not nearly as important. My friend's boat was an Alumacraft Invader 195 with a Johnson 150. It did low 60's. I have no idea why anyone would want to go faster than that in a tin boat bouncing across the top of waves but I guess that adds excitement. It makes bass fishing an extreme sport.

Spurhunter

I used to want to go faster but now that I am older, its not nearly as important. My friend's boat was an Alumacraft Invader 195 with a Johnson 150. It did low 60's. I have no idea why anyone would want to go faster than that in a tin boat bouncing across the top of waves but I guess that adds excitement. It makes bass fishing an extreme sport.
I don't run fast unless it's relatively slick. I'm not beating my boat and my back to death.

Latest posts