Thinking about swapping trolling motors

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
The ONLY thing that I don't like about my new boat is the trolling motor.
It is a foot control and basically, for me, the frot deck is not big enough.
I can't get the foot control far enough away from me to use it effectively.

Figure I have two options.
Spend upwards of $3,500 for one with a remote, spot lock and all the fancy stuff, or just go back to a tiller handle like I used to have.

I spend 99.9% of my time sitting down when I fish now.
Just can't stand up in one spot for very long anymore.

I had a 54# thrust Motorguide on the Minnow and I sure miss it.

Anyway, there is your useless information for the day. :D

WTM

386ED579-BA90-473C-9145-DB0282D0A662.jpeg

this stupid ramp board thing takes up a lot of space. im gonna remove mine and fab a plate that bolts onto the bow plate. should give about 8" more of decjk space.

Urban_Hunter

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended). I think I'm going with the Xi5. About $1800, 80lb with spot lock and "most" of the goodies. Wireless foot control and hand held remote. You can run it from anywhere with the foot control and the remote

Hduke86

You need to call around to boat shops and ask them for take offs. You can still find a steal of a deal on some. I have a Ulterra 80 on my 16' xpress and it's the best money ever spent. I found it on Craigslist guy wanted something like $900 and it was basically new. It was on a new boat he bought and wanted to stay with all the same electronics

Sako

Make sure it is not one you can upgrade to remote control and GPS... I did that to mine and it was well worth the money and only took about 30 minutes to install and set up.... If it is a new boat-motor, I bet the make a add-on for it... It is a simple Google just to make sure.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Make sure it is not one you can upgrade to remote control and GPS... I did that to mine and it was well worth the money and only took about 30 minutes to install and set up.... If it is a new boat-motor, I bet the make a add-on for it... It is a simple Google just to make sure.
Very interesting, I will check into that.

kaizen leader

Spend upwards of $3,500 for one with a remote, spot lock and all the fancy stuff, or just go back to a tiller handle like I used to have.

I bought the MinnKota Ulterra 5 years ago and it's the best investment I ever made to the boat. It has an easy hand control, spot lock, automatic direction steering, and much more. I'm 73 and was getting tired of pulling a trolling motor up and out and in. It comes with a foot control but I don't use or have on my deck. The thing is worth every penny. Good luck.

beefydeer

We love our Minn Kota Terrova. It has spot lock and I-Pilot. Best invention ever.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I have a terrova thats been in the water 6 or 7 times that came with my boat. Im planning on selling. Has remote,foot pedal, 80lb 24v, ipilot. But its a 60" Shaft. It will definitely keep you going in the roughest of water.
Im switching to Garmin since thats what all my graphs are. Hoping to wait until the new one is released!! :)

BigRed1080

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended). I think I'm going with the Xi5. About $1800, 80lb with spot lock and "most" of the goodies. Wireless foot control and hand held remote. You can run it from anywhere with the foot control and the remote
Have you gotten this yet? I was just looking at it and can't decide if I want to spend that much $$. I only have a 16ft hunting boat but man I think I would enjoy it more not fighting the wind or continually messing with the tiller trolling motor on the front while fishing.

kaizen leader

Have you gotten this yet? I was just looking at it and can't decide if I want to spend that much $$. I only have a 16ft hunting boat but man I think I would enjoy it more not fighting the wind or continually messing with the tiller trolling motor on the front while fishing.
Don't hesitate. Buy one you won't regret it. I promise. You won't even have to get off you butt.

Latest posts