Trolling motor wire size

Doecrusher

So after the DC battery thread I looked at the wiring for my 55lb terrova and it looks like I'm undersized... They have 10 gauge with a 30 amp fuse. At 15 feet I should be using 4 ga according to manual with 60 amp fuse?? I always thought my 45 lb edge was faster so maybe that's why.. may just move the trolling motor battery towards the front and use 8 or 6 ga...

Mcboom

So after the DC battery thread I looked at the wiring for my 55lb terrova and it looks like I'm undersized... They have 10 gauge with a 30 amp fuse. At 15 feet I should be using 4 ga according to manual with 60 amp fuse?? I always thought my 45 lb edge was faster so maybe that's why.. may just move the trolling motor battery towards the front and use 8 or 6 ga...
10 gauge wire is good for 30 amps. If you're it blowing the 30 amp fuse I' don't see why it's necessary to upsize your wires.

WTM

id say. at a full 50A load on that motor youre barely getting 11v to the motor. the more voltage you supply the motor the higher the rpm's.

fyi, lol, it takes 70A to burn the insulation off of 10ga conductor.

TNReb

id say. at a full 50A load on that motor youre barely getting 11v to the motor. the more voltage you supply the motor the higher the rpm's.

fyi, lol, it takes 70A to burn the insulation off of 10ga conductor.
Been there done that. Melted it once in a pond boat.

Doecrusher

Haven't taken it out yet but I ended up leaving the battery in the back and ran 4 ga... just messing with it in the yard my prop won't spin at 1 and barely at 2.. picks up at 3 and rest seems to work.. I did cut the shaft down but didn't shorten the wires..

Doecrusher

If so guess I'll be going back to an edge... when I cut the shaft I reused all the connections since I was able to pull them apart... I'm gonna check it with the remote... hopefully it's the foot pedal and dust and dirt or corrosion from sitting out... wonder too if maybe the speed selector skipped a tooth or something so 2 is 1???

Doecrusher

So it's definitely the foot pedal... I've never used the remote but there's a night and day difference between the two.. it barely spun on 1/2 like the foot pedal was on 2.. may just ditch the foot control

TNReb

The speed adjustment roller on the foot pedal has a piece that has to line up correctly. It may be worth taking a peek at this video:

Latest posts