Trolling Motor Issue

Hitit9999

So I need some help with a trolling motor issue that maybe one of you guys can help me with. My son and I were going fishing this morning. And before I leave, I always turn the key over to make sure the motor will fire and I always push the button on the trolling motor foot pedal to make sure it comes on just to know that everything works correctly. This morning when I touched the button on the trolling motor pedal, it did not come on. So I checked a couple of things, even took the prop off to make sure there was nothing behind it. Had a buddy come over and check the voltage on the batteries and the foot control and everything was fine. He then took his hand and turned the prop over and pushed the button and the trolling motor came on just like it should. He took his hand off the button, pushed it again , and it would not work. He then pushed the prop again with his hand, and pushed the button and it worked as normal. Can one of you gurus give me an idea of what to check? I'm trying to learn to fix this thing and just need some ideas. Thank you!

TN Larry

I had a Minn Kita Maxxum that would do the same. I ended up having to replace the guts of the trolling motor inside the foot. I got the diagram, ordered from Minn Kota, and changed them out myself. It would work most of the time but would stop in one spot and have to turn the prop to start back. It ended up getting worse and worse so had to fix it.

One place to post this or used to for more info was on bass boat central for trolling motors. There used to be a guy on there that would help diagnose.

megalomaniac

How old?

I'd pull prop, inspect seals, open up foot and inspect for any water damage. If any rust in the foot, order full service kit (comes with brushes, o rings, seals for about $25.) And clean armature. Use voltmeter to test commutation on armature.

Minn kota makes an excellent YouTube video that is easy to follow for a full service of your foot.

If that's all good, I'd suspect the full 12.7v isn't being delivered to the prop. Either a wiring issue (corroded connector), or old battery just delivering 12v (they are designed to run on 12.7v according to their technical expert when I talked with them troubleshooting my motor)

Hitit9999

How old?

I'd pull prop, inspect seals, open up foot and inspect for any water damage. If any rust in the foot, order full service kit (comes with brushes, o rings, seals for about $25.) And clean armature. Use voltmeter to test commutation on armature.

Minn kota makes an excellent YouTube video that is easy to follow for a full service of your foot.

If that's all good, I'd suspect the full 12.7v isn't being delivered to the prop. Either a wiring issue (corroded connector), or old battery just delivering 12v (they are designed to run on 12.7v according to their technical expert when I talked with them troubleshooting my motor)
The boat is a 1991. All the power checks out great voltage from the battery o foot control. Foot control is hot. I feel like its got to be something on the inside of the trolling motor.

agelessssone

Most likely you have water intrusion in the motor housing.
This gs are corroded and will have to be (1) taken apart and cleaned or (2) taken to a repair shop to have it diagnosed and repaired.

megalomaniac

The boat is a 1991. All the power checks out great voltage from the battery o foot control. Foot control is hot. I feel like its got to be something on the inside of the trolling motor.
If it's a 91, you seals have probably dry rotted and water has gotten into the foot.

Literally, it's $25 for a seal and brush kit, plus 30 minutes of your time to replace. If the armature is bad, that's another $100. If the magnet housing is bad, another $40 or so.

I'd break the sucker open and have a look-see.

BigCityBubba

I'd possibly be willing to buy one from somebody if they have an extra. I don't want to put a bunch of money into a new for a boat that old.
Keep an eye on facebook marketplace. I just bought a 4 month old minn kota fortrex with built in sonar for $800. They go for around $1500 new. It was practically new without a single scratch. Allot of people buy boats with cable foot control trolling motors and sell them to get something with spot lock which is why the guy I bought mine from was selling his.

rsimms

Might be the motor brushes are worn out.
Yes, this. A bad brush contact. Depending upon the age of the motor, and whether you can do the work yourself, or need to pay a professional - it might just be time to buy a new TM.

If it were me and my VERY limited mechanical abilities, megalomaniac's suggestion to "break 'er open" would be a deal-breaker. :oops:

Several brands, such as Garmin, have started selling "brushless" trolling motors so this would never be a problem. But I suspect they may ultimately present their own new set of problems???

TNReb

Anybody live around Lebanon or know anyone in or near Lebanon I can get to look at it with me? So I know what I'm looking for?
Maybe reach out to Gary Dyer. He's in Murfreesboro. He works on all sorts of boat/motor issues. I'm not positive if he works on trolling motors, but he could probably point you in the right direction if he doesn't. If you're on Facebook, you can search for him there and he'll pop up.

megalomaniac

seriously, you CAN do this yourself. This video is for the 4in lower unit, but Minn Kota makes one for the 3.75 foots as well if you search youtube.

I'm no mechanic, but tearing into my trolling motor and checking things out was crazy easy. But go ahead and order the entire seal/ brush kit first if you plan on reassembling.

what you are looking for is a bunch of rust inside the lower unit :) Even if there isn't rust, with a motor that old, the brushes probably need to be replaced and are easy to do.

Latest posts