Thinking about a new boat

Kyboy

I bought a 2023 Xpress X-19 with a 200 in January. (ordered it in July 2022). I am still breaking in the motor so I can't give a definite top end speed yet. It will hit 60 easy and I just haven't pushed it hard yet.
View attachment 187016
If I could, thats probably the exact set up I would have.

Crappieaddict

IMG_0834.jpeg
IMG_0832.jpeg

Far from new, but it handles rough water and helps my old butt have a better chance of not falling out!

JBell

I have an Xpress X19 with a 175. It runs low 60s. 64.7 is my top speed. I love the boat. It's a great fishing platform. But it's not great in rough water. A lot of the Xpress owners say they are just as good as glass in rough water. That is simply not true.
I have a x18 and I will not say they are as good as fiberglass. But not much off. No 18-19 ft boat will be great in rough water. But I seriously doubt I ever buy a glass boat. My dream would be a 21' xpress now

Lt.Dan

I used to want to go faster but now that I am older, its not nearly as important. My friend's boat was an Alumacraft Invader 195 with a Johnson 150. It did low 60's. I have no idea why anyone would want to go faster than that in a tin boat bouncing across the top of waves but I guess that adds excitement. It makes bass fishing an extreme sport.
I guess when we get old we get slower in more ways than one. I keep hearing them complain about the boats not handling rough water at top speeds. Hmm, wonder why that is? 🤔 (rhetorical question) Me? I have a 28' pontoon with a 90hp (2000 model) it hits a heart stopping 19mph WOT. Now the boat I'm building this year for fishing is gonna sport a 9.9hp Merc which I'm sure should hit some blistering speeds also. I will let you all know if I don't have a heart attack from the excitement.

BigCityBubba

I guess when we get old we get slower in more ways than one. I keep hearing them complain about the boats not handling rough water at top speeds. Hmm, wonder why that is? 🤔 (rhetorical question) Me? I have a 28' pontoon with a 90hp (2000 model) it hits a heart stopping 19mph WOT. Now the boat I'm building this year for fishing is gonna sport a 9.9hp Merc which I'm sure should hit some blistering speeds also. I will let you all know if I don't have a heart attack from the excitement.
If you are ever able to get the new build on plane, it might just happen.

Spurhunter

I have a x18 and I will not say they are as good as fiberglass. But not much off. No 18-19 ft boat will be great in rough water.
I've been in several 19 foot glass boats. They all rode better than my 19' Xpress. I fished with a buddy in his 18' Champion and it rode better than all of them, but Champions were made for rough water. Like I say, I don't try to break the welds in my boat and have to go see the chiropractor. And rough water is a relative term. Sardis can get ROUGH. I just take my time.

Gvit

I have a Vexus 1880 AVX - great boat, get lots of compliments on it. If you're looking for an aluminum bass boat, these are pretty nice. I've realized I need something that's not a bass boat as I need to be able to stand while operating, so I'm looking at 17-18 aluminum jon boats, catfish boats, etc

Attachments

• IMG-0612.PNG
    IMG-0612.PNG
    475.6 KB · Views: 42

Kyboy

I have a Vexus 1880 AVX - great boat, get lots of compliments on it. If you're looking for an aluminum bass boat, these are pretty nice. I've realized I need something that's not a bass boat as I need to be able to stand while operating, so I'm looking at 17-18 aluminum jon boats, catfish boats, etc
I'd do some trading on a lowe 1654 side console lol

SinningSaint33

I recommended going with the biggest boat you can pull and/or afford. Nothing trumps floor/deck space. I started with a little 1542 then bought a 1653. Then a 1860. Finally pulled the trigger on a 21ft Glass ranger. I have HUNDREDS of pounds of baits and about 40 rods in the front hatches. Even when I gotta junk fish in a tournament and have 16 rods on deck there is still more than enough space for two people to fish off the front. IMO there isn't an aluminum boat out there that compares to the ride of a glass boat. Fiberglass just absorbs shock so much better. I've been in some very questionable waters and have never feared for my life. We all know the Tennessee river can get nasty in a moments notice.

Lt.Dan

I recommended going with the biggest boat you can pull and/or afford. Nothing trumps floor/deck space. I started with a little 1542 then bought a 1653. Then a 1860. Finally pulled the trigger on a 21ft Glass ranger. I have HUNDREDS of pounds of baits and about 40 rods in the front hatches. Even when I gotta junk fish in a tournament and have 16 rods on deck there is still more than enough space for two people to fish off the front. IMO there isn't an aluminum boat out there that compares to the ride of a glass boat. Fiberglass just absorbs shock so much better. I've been in some very questionable waters and have never feared for my life. We all know the Tennessee river can get nasty in a moments notice.
Back when I had started buying boats I did just that. I went from 16' to 25' in one step. Then got out of boats for many years. Bought a pontoon boat a few years ago. Went straight to a 28 footer. But now I'm building a little fishing boat for retirement. Just a little skinny 14' jon boat. It will be easy to handle and trailer around for a 60+ half blind old guy.

Latest posts