Reelfoot

rsimms

We caught 2 yellow bass, 2 drum, and 1 big gar
Three-man limit on Chickamauga. Reelfoot is an awesome place. I tell everyone they NEED to go there. But in my limited experience, you've got to be there at just the right time for great fishing. Otherwise it's hard to beat the Tennessee River. That said, a smackdown trip for big, bull Reelfoot bluegill is still on my bucket list.

BuckWild

I first fished Reelfoot back in the 1970's with my Dad and his uncle. Probably been there over 100 times.

Don't think I've ever been there when the wind wasn't blowing its azz off.

Still hate that lake...

Levee Jumper

The days of aimlessly spider rigging on the south end of the lake catching a limit of fish nearly daily are officially over.

TheLBLman

Still hate that lake...
Reelfoot continues to be my personal favorite lake to visit in TN.

But then, both my ancestors and myself have a long history involving Reelfoot Lake. Before the creation of Kentucky Lake (and many others along the TN & Cumberland River systems), Reelfoot Lake was THE hunting & fishing DESTINATION of Tennessee. And "Walnut Log" was a booming place!

What I "hate" is going out on a typical big TN lake and being overrun by wake boats & jet skis, and seemingly more people around than fish. Going to Reelfoot is more like going to the Florida Everglades.

A part of me is glad many disagree with my thoughts.
Hey, you don't want to go there. There are big cottonmouth water moccasins hanging from every tree, and they're just waiting for you to pass underneath. There are also gigantic snapping turtles that can just eat you whole. Alligators are moving in as well.

TheLBLman

One of the most vicious wildlife "battles" I've ever witnessed was between two gigantic snapping turtles on Reelfoot Lake. I was actually wading in the water near them (around 200 yds from any dry land), and suddenly concerned for my safety should they direct their attention to me instead of each other. There was no way I could get away from them if they had.

To this day, the only turtles I've seen approaching the size of those two has been in a zoo.
Just never know what you're going to see at Reelfoot.

BuckWild

Reelfoot continues to be my personal favorite lake to visit in TN.

But then, both my ancestors and myself have a long history involving Reelfoot Lake. Before the creation of Kentucky Lake (and many others along the TN & Cumberland River systems), Reelfoot Lake was THE hunting & fishing DESTINATION of Tennessee. And "Walnut Log" was a booming place!

What I "hate" is going out on a typical big TN lake and being overrun by wake boats & jet skis, and seemingly more people around than fish. Going to Reelfoot is more like going to the Florida Everglades.

A part of me is glad many disagree with my thoughts.
Hey, you don't want to go there. There are big cottonmouth water moccasins hanging from every tree, and they're just waiting for you to pass underneath. There are also gigantic snapping turtles that can just eat you whole. Alligators are moving in as well.
Maybe you missed the part about me fishing it over 100 times. I know all about Reelfoot Lake. I know the wind blows there a lot.
There are tons of lakes where you can fish and not see a wakeboard boat or jetski.

Also don't have to work yourself to death fighting the wind and waves to do it.

Open Lake, Chisolm Lake, Cold Creek, even Crutcher lake...pulled limit after limit of big crappie out of all those back in the day before Asian Carp ruined them for fishing. Plus they were closer than Reelfoot. It's a great fishery but if I have a choice, I'm gonna go somewhere else...

Latest posts