Thermal Drone Sting Op by PA F&G

lafn96

Sounds like this is a first where a drone was confiscated. From their more detailed explanation on their Youtube, a Pennsylvania thermal drone operator was set up by F&G when he showed up to look for a buck. They threatened to arrest him if he didn't surrender the drone. This operator supposedly had the "hunter" sign a release, stating he had legally shot an animal, had permission to be there, would not use the info to hunt, etc.

I don't have any type of problem with thermal drones in the recovery of animals; using them to hunt I have a big problem with. Going to this extreme to do a sting op for someone helping people trying to find their deer is ridiculous to me. With the amount of poaching, trespassing, etc; they think this is going to be the thing that does the most good or is the best use of their time and resources? Makes zero sense to me.

CliffordN

If he was in PA, he is probably screwed. Those Magistrates up there never believe anyone except LEOs, and they act like if you are in court you are guilty before you say a word... Not saying this guy might not have broken the law. Just that I would be surprised if he prevails in this matter. And any LEO can lie to you in the course of an investigation. So them telling him that it was all above board has no bearing...

backyardtndeer

But perhaps - considering the lengths they went to catch these guys - they had inside information that the drone was being used to hunt deer instead of recover deer.
Yeah, I was wondering if they believed this is what was really taking place. Seems very wrong to me to deliberately setup someone trying to help a hunter recover a deer. Sure there is probably more to the story, anyone have a link?

rockytopmojo

It's kind of a crazy deal. They didn't even charge the guy with anything. Just demanded he turn the drone over or would he charged with interfering with an investigation.

Omega

Playing devil's advocate here, but they may be checking the video to try to figure out if it was used for finding a dead or injured deer, or just scouting for deer to target, though I would think it would be difficult to tell the difference unless it's real obvious.

Latest posts