Drone deer recovery

Poleaxe

Hey guys. It's been a while. I get to drop in and give a peak every now and then and I hope everyone is doing well and having a great season so far. I just found out a good friend has started a new business with a very nice thermal drone and is now offering animal recovery. The idea I thought was so great I told him I had to do everything possible to help. No better place than here. I remember every other post used to be asking if someone had a dog. I've gotten a glimpse at this thing work and it's unreal. Each battery lasts 45min and he has three sets. We all hope wouldn't need somebody like that but then again we more times do than don't.

Check his Facebook page out. https://www.facebook.com/Easttnthermaldronerecovery?mibextid=ZbWKwL

Southern Sportsman

I haven't looked at the TN regs on this at all, and it is entirely possible that emerging drone technology just hasn't been addressed yet. But I did read something the other day about another state declaring drones with thermal sensors illegal even for game recovery. Recovery of downed game is included in the broad definition of "hunting" in TN, which is why it took a long time and a lot of debate before consensus was reached on using tracking dogs for deer recovery. I'm just curious how TN will approach this.

BSK

I haven't looked at the TN regs on this at all, and it is entirely possible that emerging drone technology just hasn't been addressed yet. But I did read something the other day about another state declaring drones with thermal sensors illegal even for game recovery. Recovery of downed game is included in the broad definition of "hunting" in TN, which is why it took a long time and a lot of debate before consensus was reached on using tracking dogs for deer recovery. I'm just curious how TN will approach this.
Excellent points Southern Sportsman.

I also question thermal imagers for recovering deer. If the drone operator doesn't get there fast, in cold weather a deer carcass goes cold quite quickly. In addition, some habitat types, like pine forests, block the thermal signatures of deer. About 20 years ago, running deer censuses with FLIR was all the rage. However, in some habitat/terrain combinations it did a terrible job of "seeing" deer.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I was looking at the same aspect. Dogs aren't allowed for hunting deer and drones aren't allowed for hunting deer so this will be interesting...

MrJim43

2-Step Enabled
Watched a Youtube video of a guy who owned a drone business. He could located the deer for the person who shot the deer but the deer could not be retrieve because of the state game law. The deer lay's there and rots. Hard for me to understand this but it is what it is. I see the state's law to keep people from hunting with a drone but......

Antler Daddy

Excellent points Southern Sportsman.

I also question thermal imagers for recovering deer. If the drone operator doesn't get there fast, in cold weather a deer carcass goes cold quite quickly. In addition, some habitat types, like pine forests, block the thermal signatures of deer. About 20 years ago, running deer censuses with FLIR was all the rage. However, in some habitat/terrain combinations it did a terrible job of "seeing" deer.
I've watched a bunch of the videos on YouTube. Amish guy created the business and is doing well. It is $500 a pop, but they have learned don't have to rush to get there. Body stays internally warm for some time.

Hduke86

I've watched a bunch of the videos on YouTube. Amish guy created the business and is doing well. It is $500 a pop, but they have learned don't have to rush to get there. Body stays internally warm for some time.
Yea and that's minimum, cause it's an extra $200 I believe if they find the thing

Jrmoultrie21

I'm not sure if y'all remember or not, but I too started a drone deer recovery in Tennessee called middle Tennessee drone deer recovery, actually the first one to do it in Tennessee. Well after several discussions with the state TWRA office they said this is illegal because they consider recovery a hunting practice and they wouldn't let me do it. I hope for this guys sake they have changed their minds BecUse that's an expensive drone, I since sold my drone and closed the business.

Antler Daddy

I'm not sure if y'all remember or not, but I too started a drone deer recovery in Tennessee called middle Tennessee drone deer recovery, actually the first one to do it in Tennessee. Well after several discussions with the state TWRA office they said this is illegal because they consider recovery a hunting practice and they wouldn't let me do it. I hope for this guys sake they have changed their minds BecUse that's an expensive drone, I since sold my drone and closed the business.
Why does that not surprise me?

Tennessee wants to have a velvet buck season is August for no good reason, thier CWD datais corrupt and want to kill all dear, and they don't give a hoot what duck hunters think.

lafn96

Had him (drone pilot OP is referring to) out last week to do a survey of a 1000 acre property I just got access to. Confirmed what I already suspected as to where the majority of deer were, and got an idea of the herd size. Very nice guy. Then saw him again this week when someone hunting just a mile or two from me had him out looking for one and he needed someplace to charge his batteries.

Would strongly recommend for anyone within an hour or so of Athens. He doesn't charge anywhere near $500, at least at this time.

Latest posts