The butt kicked thread

Iglow

Well, for something different, instead of stories of killing, let's go over the times we've got our butt kicked by a gobbler.
I've got so many but let's start with the latest. Yesterday morning I went to my Uncles place where I've got a "V" blind setup for bowhunting where when he approaches you draw you bow and shoot him in the back as he walks past. I'm all set on a road that runs through the woods that they use a bunch and he's behind me gobbling, I'm calling every little bit real quiet and it's all going as planned. Then he shuts up and I don't know what's happening, I call …nothing. I'm waiting and watching and waiting, peeking behind me where I think he should come from then he gobbles at 30 yds in front of me, he'd circled around where I was. I'm exposed in the open front of the V and I see movement then draw my bow. He walks on up to within 15 or so yards and has to take one more step to get his head/neck clear for a shot and he stops! I've got the pin on the opening but he just stands there and he sees me and he just stares at me for what seemed like an hour. After that eternity he starts to cluck then he rearranged his wings and walked off the way he came.

REN

Shoot I still have one as of today. Got a bird on my buddies farm in Marshall county that roosts right in a big creek with a cow field in both sides and the only set up is either on top of him, a small wood island out in the field or on the field edge across from him 150yds away.

I've hunted that bird for 3 years straight now and for the life of me no matter what I do or try he just always seems to be 50yds away. It's comical now between he and I

Southern Sportsman

Great thread idea.

I just got back to the truck from my morning ass whipping in the river bottom. Had a decent idea where one would be roosted, and I nailed that part. Sat down in the dark at 05:00. He was 60 yards when he gobbled. Day broke and hens started pitching down and yelping 75-100 behind me. The gobbler is directly in front. Couldn't ask for a better scenario. He finally pitched out and landed to my 1:00 at 35 yards, but behind a clump of trees. Gun up, safety off. He's walking the top of the levee left to right. When he comes clear, I can see his whole head but not much of his neck due to tall grass and the uphill angle from my position. His head is bobbing as he walks. I start tightening on the trigger, planning to touch it off the second he pauses. But before I got him killed, he stepped off the back side of the levee and his head dropped out of sight. I yelped a little more, just hoping to coax him back to the top for a peek. The hens yelped and cut and kee-keed and cackled at each other for another hour. But, as far as I can tell, the gobbler either evaporated or crossed the river.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
4 years ago on opening day we had a tom galloping from 200 yards out to the sound of a box call. He had to pass by a privet patch to get a clear shot. He was about to pop out of it, and then a small herd of deer walks along it, and spooks him.

Hit the call and get him to come back, gobbling, and he's going to pop out of the privet (I can see his black figure growing bolder from behind the stalks), and then a hen FLIES into a nearby tree and starts cutting. Didn't know at the time that our best shot was to cut back.

Anyway, it was over after that.

Iglow

In the early 90's I was sitting mid morning in a low gap over at DeKalb Co. , was tired and dozed off after I made a few calls etc. A cluck I can only describe as snapping a thick glass rod woke me up, a gobbler had heard my calls and took his time investigating. He continued that ear piercing clucking as he came on and I had one of those face masks you usta get that had fabric between the eyes, I got the gun up without getting caught but with my head on the stock to look down the barrel the fabric piece was in the way and I couldn't see the barrel or bead. He's coming on and is 25 yds or so, I'm panicking and moving my head to somehow see the bead to shoot then he sees me moving and launches into the air, beats his wings to get clear of the trees and sails all the way over the hollow to the other hillside. It was early in the old season, like late March with no leaves yet and I could see him sailing the whole way, I bet he floated 500 yards across. That damned facemask is still in that gap to this day!!!

Last edited:

Iglow

My latest butt kicking …I .. just a min ago … I just can't right now….
Ok , I'm better now. The short of it was the gobbler was strutting , I've got my bow drawn, he's about 18 yds, I can't shoot him strutting( head shot type broadhead) , I'm just fixing to whistle at him and he comes out of strut and steps into the woods/thicket in 1 motion….. no shot. He moves on past down the hill and I breakdown, weeping uncontrollably…..

Last edited:

Atchman2

Shoot I still have one as of today. Got a bird on my buddies farm in Marshall county that roosts right in a big creek with a cow field in both sides and the only set up is either on top of him, a small wood island out in the field or on the field edge across from him 150yds away.

I've hunted that bird for 3 years straight now and for the life of me no matter what I do or try he just always seems to be 50yds away. It's comical now between he and I
I had one like that in Knox County. I hunted him four years and never got close! I was sitting in a fence row in my blind and I could see him at about 400 yards across this field. I got frustrated and flipped over my blind and sat and watched him. I'm sitting on a bright blue chair sipping on a Diet Pepsi. He didn't care. Then I saw him moving along this treeline to my north. I said, "why not?". I got low behind the fence line and went as fast as I could. There was a place where the powerline came into the field that caused the line to not be straight, so I used that for cover. It was a race to get into position. So I flopped my cushion down and worked my box call. He was like RIGHT THERE, his head popped up and I got him-he was my first turkey ever. It only took me four years to finally get one. He was a big OLD gobbler, I don't remember his stats. I was eager to cook him up, but the meat was so tough, I ended up feeding it to the dog. Since then I've got a bunch more, but nothing like taking down that old bird that had fooled me for four years. :)

megalomaniac

Struck a bird right after a rainstorm deep on public in south MS earlier in the season Friday at 10a. He gobbled from 150y across a creek. I dropped down across the creek, got set up in the most open part of the bottom where I had a 30y max shot and called again. He immediately cut me off coming. Waited 15 minutes, could never see him.... finally had to check him and scratched leaves and clucked. He gobbled 40-45y away, yet I still couldn't see him. Waited 20 min and checked him again and he gobbled back from his original spot above the creek 80y away. I knew that SOB came in and looked where I was calling from, yet I never saw him. Made some loops, but he had been worked before and always stayed 80 y away no matter where I called from the rest of the morning. After another 1.5 hours of this, he finally got tired of teasing me and shut up for good.

Went back in there Sun morn 30min before daylight and there were 2 trucks where I wanted to come in from. I pulled around and came in from the other side and hiked 1.5miles in, but he never made a peep on the limb.

knightrider

I had one like that in Knox County. I hunted him four years and never got close! I was sitting in a fence row in my blind and I could see him at about 400 yards across this field. I got frustrated and flipped over my blind and sat and watched him. I'm sitting on a bright blue chair sipping on a Diet Pepsi. He didn't care. Then I saw him moving along this treeline to my north. I said, "why not?". I got low behind the fence line and went as fast as I could. There was a place where the powerline came into the field that caused the line to not be straight, so I used that for cover. It was a race to get into position. So I flopped my cushion down and worked my box call. He was like RIGHT THERE, his head popped up and I got him-he was my first turkey ever. It only took me four years to finally get one. He was a big OLD gobbler, I don't remember his stats. I was eager to cook him up, but the meat was so tough, I ended up feeding it to the dog. Since then I've got a bunch more, but nothing like taking down that old bird that had fooled me for four years. :)
Sag yes! Get tough no😂😂

Last edited:

Iglow

In the blind with my bow yesterday, I saw 3 LB's in the field near it. I snuck around and got in then made a couple whine/clucks and soft yelps. They gobbled back. 30 min later one of them stepped out in the lane in the woods the blind is on at about 50 yds and looked for the hen, not seeing her he folded his wings and walked off. I also had a camera pic about that time of one 50 yds the other direction that circled/came in looking but never showed his self. After that I never saw them the rest of the afternoon. They aren't stupid.

Latest posts