The Colonel and The Fox

Iglow

After watching, what I think we turkey hunters of today need is a good dose of humility and appreciation of what we have now as far as turkeys go. The reapers, the game hogs, the grab and grinners and the high fivers should all be driven from our ranks. It was mentioned that Kelly ( I think) hunted every day of the 1953 season and never heard a turkey... not one. How long would The Hunting Public or Seek One last if that was the conditions they had to hunt in?

Southern Sportsman

After watching, what I think we turkey hunters of today need is a good dose of humility and appreciation of what we have now as far as turkeys go. The reapers, the game hogs, the grab and grinners and the high fivers should all be driven from our ranks. It was mentioned that Kelly ( I think) hunted every day of the 1953 season and never heard a turkey... not one. How long would The Hunting Public or Seek One last if that was the conditions they had to hunt in?
I started it last night and got about halfway through before going to bed. It's great so far. I think it was Mr. Fox they were talking about hunting every day without hearing one. Which is impressive dedication regardless, but I wonder how long the season was in Alabama in 1953?

Bgoodman30

I fell asleep watching last night long day hunting in AL and baseball games same day... I was thoroughly enjoyed it though cant wait to finish it.

axeforce6

I'm partially through it. Started watching it the other morning with my 5 month old. So far, we're really enjoying it.

megalomaniac

When you hear the first gobble of the season and you don't immediately and without thinking reflexively thank God for the wild turkey, you don't get it.

Much of the video stirred the emotions I feel during the season. Some of the video to me came across as commercialized.

Like Iglow said, i think hunting 30 days in a spring without even hearing a gobble would separate those who hunt because they HAVE to from those that hunt for the likes.

Boll Weevil

Watching it I was reminded of just how coveted turkey knowledge was back then…scuffing out tracks and sending other hunters on wild goose chases was for real. I killed my 1st bird in 1986 or 1987 and have to admit, if it weren't for one old man at church providing a few pointers I'd likely still be wandering in the turkey-wilderness.

Iglow

Watching it I was reminded of just how coveted turkey knowledge was back then…scuffing out tracks and sending other hunters on wild goose chases was for real. I killed my 1st bird in 1986 or 1987 and have to admit, if it weren't for one old man at church providing a few pointers I'd likely still be wandering in the turkey-wilderness.
Back then? Ha! If there is something that defines turkey hunting it's secrecy/deflection.😄

Last edited:

Latest posts