Rating the caller types.

REN

the answer today is usually not the answer tomorrow. Turkeys are gonna do turkey things and they generally are not the same day to day.

for me its all situational and partly ease of use. I run a mouth call 90% of the time, just like the sound and I dont have to deal with grabbing a pot and striker and making sure its conditioned each time. When its just me and having to have my gun up and all the other stuff that goes with a set up I just dont always like messing with a pot call at the same time.

However If I am not the primary shooter on a hunt then I will use a pot call MUCH more because now Im focused solely on that task and not as worried about my gun and other factors.

As stated already, set up is more important IMO then how a call sounds. I believe more in WHEN to call and CALL type way more then how you sound on the call. Cutting is not always the answer lol. Soft clucks and purrs sometimes is all you need and even that very sparingly.

Soft Talker

I've killed more Gobblers with just clucks, combined with either scratching leaves or splashing water, than with any other Turkey sound. Soft, 2 and 3 note yelps would be a close second. I'm able to make these sounds using my trumpet, scratcher, slate pot, or mouth yelper with extreme realism.

RoyalPrudent

Just to my ear, none of them really sound like a hen yelping, I think it's just the sound pattern that does it ( same reason they gobble at crow calls) but imo a scratch box clucks best, a wingbone/trumpet type keekee and Jake yelp best, a pot type purrs best with a scratch box next. A box is loud but not versatile and a glass/carbon is waterproof along with the wingbone/trumpet. A mouth call is deadly cause it's no hands but it doesn't really make any of the common calls better than any other type. Overall I can do more with less with the scratch box. It's portable, quiet to carry, pretty durable, easy to use, can make most calls except keekee and can make soft calls when needed. All the above is my opinion, what's yours?
This is a solid take, but I'd put a good pot above most anything personally.

RoyalPrudent

IDK, you watch and hear guys like Dave Owens on a mouth call and WOW he can make sounds and tones I dont think you can get on pot call easily
Agreed, But I don't think the average hunter can do that. I think they can get closer with a pot call. But let's be honest. Some folks could sound terrible with any call.

I once purred one in to ten yards with only my voice and no call. Sounded terrible. No question a cooperative bird and good tactics are the most important thing.

REN

Agreed, But I don't think the average hunter can do that. I think they can get closer with a pot call. But let's be honest. Some folks could sound terrible with any call.

I once purred one in to ten yards with only my voice and no call. Sounded terrible. No question a cooperative bird and good tactics are the most important thing.

oh 100%. I can cluck easier on a pot call and purr, also easier for me to roll from clucks to purrs in a rhythm easier on a pot.

If we are talking average hunter then the easy answer is pots and boxes. IMO realism though I personally lean to mouth calls just cause you can do things on those you cant do on the others

hardest sound for me has always been bubble clucks and purrs on a mouth call. I can vibrate that thing in my throat so in order to purr I have to use my tongue and lips to do it. Sounds fine after years or working on it BUT going from purrs to clucks etc with that limitation can be hard to do.

Soft Talker

But of course. No one here would ever expect you to describe the quality of your clucks as anything less than "extreme realism."
Mastered those very calls at around 10yrs old with my "Cracker" Scratch Box. If after over 40yrs of hunting Turkeys, you can't make simple clucks and soft, 2 and 3 note yelps sound "real" with your best call, you either suck or you are just not that serious about it. Me personally, I have been about as serious as a heart attack about the whole game since I was 7yrs old. To each their own though.

REN

will add one more thing.

TUBE CALLS

Rarely ever see anyone talking about them or even videos people using them these days. Its almost like its a lost art to use one and know how to use them. Such a good call IMO and cant count the amount of birds I was able push past that "hung up" distance using one. Can do most all calls on it including jake and adult gobbles.

Southern Sportsman

will add one more thing.

TUBE CALLS

Rarely ever see anyone talking about them or even videos people using them these days. Its almost like its a lost art to use one and know how to use them. Such a good call IMO and cant count the amount of birds I was able push past that "hung up" distance using one. Can do most all calls on it including jake and adult gobbles.
I have one, and I still cary it occasionally. However, I hate wearing stuff dangling around my neck. But when I keep it in my vest, the latex usually gets messed up before too long. If I go somewhere expecting that I may want to cover a lot of ground trying to strike a bird, I'll cut up another condom and tune the tube back up. In fact, I'm glad you brought it up. I may want it this weekend.

deerhunter10

will add one more thing.

TUBE CALLS

Use one a decent amount. Love a tube call.

MCO8891

i use a box call a lot. Its what I am using until I strike one up. Use a mouth call if I think ones is committed. Its not rocket science.

REN

I have one, and I still cary it occasionally. However, I hate wearing stuff dangling around my neck. But when I keep it in my vest, the latex usually gets messed up before too long. If I go somewhere expecting that I may want to cover a lot of ground trying to strike a bird, I'll cut up another condom and tune the tube back up. In fact, I'm glad you brought it up. I may want it this weekend.
agreed on the neck part, I already carry a diaphragm holder. I usually put my tube call in the side pocket of my bino harness

MidTennFisher

I've got a bunch of wingbones I've been making over the years. Some sound good, some sound like gobbler yelps. I swear when I'm practicing with it at home I sound fantastic but then I'll use it in the woods and think it sounds like garbage. Sometimes I do get responses to it but not as often as I'd like.

Mostly I use mouth calls but have been using a glass over slate more this season. I have more control over changing the tone and cadence of a string of yelps with it than with a mouth call. Plus mixing in purrs and cuts seems to be easier for me on a friction call than with mouth calls.

One thing I've noticed with mouth calls is that I can only make really raspy yelps. That's not a bad thing but I can't get those clear yelps that some can. Raspy yelps have led plenty of gobblers within shooting range so I guess it's fine.

The best turkey call is whatever you're most comfortable with.

REN

I've got a bunch of wingbones I've been making over the years. Some sound good, some sound like gobbler yelps. I swear when I'm practicing with it at home I sound fantastic but then I'll use it in the woods and think it sounds like garbage. Sometimes I do get responses to it but not as often as I'd like.

Mostly I use mouth calls but have been using a glass over slate more this season. I have more control over changing the tone and cadence of a string of yelps with it than with a mouth call. Plus mixing in purrs and cuts seems to be easier for me on a friction call than with mouth calls.

One thing I've noticed with mouth calls is that I can only make really raspy yelps. That's not a bad thing but I can't get those clear yelps that some can. Raspy yelps have led plenty of gobblers within shooting range so I guess it's fine.

The best turkey call is whatever you're most comfortable with.

easy solutions to that if you want to get clearer front end. Use ghost or batwing calls with 2, 2.5, or 3 reed (I like the 2.5's a lot for yelping) and apply more initial reed pressure. Those cuts have a lot less rasp to them but still has plenty. Thats assuming you are using more V cuts or cutter type cuts. a

Gravey

You can literally sound like a dying goose being raped by a hawk and kill all the turkeys you want as long as you have the cadence down pat!!! The worst sounding calling ive heard has been old real hens. Woods savy trumps calling every time !!!!!
Same here! I just knew a hunter was about to walk up on me and it was the worst sounding hen ever.

Latest posts