Rating the caller types.

ROVERBOY

I used to hunt some with my nephew. I wished for awhile that mouth calls had never been invented. The kid wouldn't shut up. Several times when we set up on a bird, he would be calling like he was in a competition. Several times, I had to tell him to shut up.

ROVERBOY

I use probably 90% of the time a pot call. I got a glass, a slate, and a copper. I like them and will sometimes use a a scratch box or wingbone. I use to use a mouth call most of the time.

deerhunter10

Some guys watch way too many turkey hunting videos. I think that's where the over calling comes from. At least in some people.
That's for sure a lot of those videos are edited like crazy, no different then someone fishing and trying to catch a fish with a certain lure. They are just trying to sell you things. The biggest things thats hurt the call market is decoys. But a lot of the big names are in both.

If I didn't have blah blah blah I wouldn't have killed this turkey, or if I didn't have this grunt call I wouldn't have killed this deer. Just marketing. And people are so caught up in posting something on the internet they sell them like water.

Bgoodman30

I've got a bunch of wingbones I've been making over the years. Some sound good, some sound like gobbler yelps. I swear when I'm practicing with it at home I sound fantastic but then I'll use it in the woods and think it sounds like garbage. Sometimes I do get responses to it but not as often as I'd like.

Mostly I use mouth calls but have been using a glass over slate more this season. I have more control over changing the tone and cadence of a string of yelps with it than with a mouth call. Plus mixing in purrs and cuts seems to be easier for me on a friction call than with mouth calls.

One thing I've noticed with mouth calls is that I can only make really raspy yelps. That's not a bad thing but I can't get those clear yelps that some can. Raspy yelps have led plenty of gobblers within shooting range so I guess it's fine.

The best turkey call is whatever you're most comfortable with.

I'm the same with mouth calls raspy yelps but it works! I listen to Dave Owens on Pinhoti and think I suck... lol he is much higher pitched.

megalomaniac

I'm the same with mouth calls raspy yelps but it works! I listen to Dave Owens on Pinhoti and think I suck... lol he is much higher pitched.
IMO, Pitch comes into play when working birds that have been called to a dozen times already in the season.

Think about it... late season, most birds have heard typical 3 Reed mouth calls and pot calls... came to them and busted the hunter to live another day.

Tail end of the season its time to kill a bird with something they haven't heard before. I prefer a very high pitched, almost squeaky 2 Reed batwing.

I also carry a tube call. Didn't pull it out until this past week. When I'm on new ground (about 50% of the time), I'm hauling ass as fast as I can until I strike a bird or find fresh sign. We are down to the last third of the season here in MS, and I'm using the tube to get a reaction gobble just to let me know to stay there for hours playing the subtle stuff to have a chance of fooling one. I've never worked one into the kill with my homemade tube

Jbird22

will add one more thing.

TUBE CALLS

Rarely ever see anyone talking about them or even videos people using them these days. Its almost like its a lost art to use one and know how to use them. Such a good call IMO and cant count the amount of birds I was able push past that "hung up" distance using one. Can do most all calls on it including jake and adult gobbles.
Tube calls are awful. I highly discourage people from using them...lol...In all seriousness, I always have one with me and it's my go-to for trying to strike one on up in the morning.

As for realism, nothing beats a mouth call if you're proficient at using one. I use one 90% of the time.

I like a pot call as well but it's usually a change-up call for me if gobblers aren't responding how I like to a mouth call.

A trumpet is another call that sounds really good in the right hands. I'm just not comfortable enough with one to carry over the previous 3.

Last edited:

Joe2Kool

Ive never been out there this early! Good luck and keep me posted!
This is the earliest we've been also. We were there the 3rd week last year and it was obvious the birds had been called to and hunted. We still managed 2 birds and 2 misses between the 4 of us. We wanted to be there opening day this year.

I'll post a thread on here after we get on the road, or after we get there.

Chickenrig

I'm about tone deaf so it's hard for me to know what i sound like. I mainly use a Tom Gaskins scratch box and a custom short box call . I keep trying mouth calls but ……

Rakkin6

Attachments

• anchorman-sex-panther.gif
    anchorman-sex-panther.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 10

Rakkin6

Pot calls I like aluminum and ceramic by a couple call makers. Have a few box calls from TJ Johnson I really like and a hen box from Matt Fulkerson and Richard Hudson. But for me now that I can run one decently I have come to like tube calls, they are small and easy to carry and you can make any call in them.

Latest posts