The .243? Hunting and Reloading

Big Gun

I bought my son a .243 when he was 11. I zeroed it using Winchester 100gr power point ammo and that's what has been used in it ever since. Almost every deer he has killed has dropped where they were standing. A couple ran about 40 yards. My son is 23 now and even when I offered to let him use my Browning 30-06, he has taken his .243.

TraumaSlave

My son's Savage Axis youth. 243 it a tac driving deer slayer. As others have said, GameKings for reloading. Another thought, kinda outside the box, a 243 is just a necked down 308. Easy brass ro find or common to already have.

David Sapp

I avoided the 243 for years but picked up a nice M70 pre64 and used it to kill one of my better bucks. Decisive one shot kill at just under 100 yards with the factory Fusion load. After deer hunting a few decades, I've figured out there aren't good or bad cartridges out there, just proper placement and adequate bullets. I don't hesitate to take a 243 now.

redblood

They are good guns. Have a ruger compact stainless in the safe. However, the same case in 260, 7mm08 or 308 will give you much more versatility and the ability to shoot bullets that are heavier, have a higher bc and sd

Gravey

Bought a NEF .243 when my son was little and liked it so much I bought a barrel for my Encore. Ended up getting another frame and just leaving it on there and killed a bunch using 95-grain Federal Fusions. My son hasn't hunted in 2 years due to working and a girlfriend but I still carry it at least once a year. Lost a first cousin earlier this year to covid and ended up with a Sako .243 that was his and intend to hunt with it this year and hopefully let it eat.

ROVERBOY

The .243 is a fine deer cartridge IMO, but you either love it or hate it. There are plenty who like to kick it in the ribs and trash it, but I love it. I've used it for years, as have several friends. We've never been disappointed. Use deer bullets and not varmint bullets, and it kills well.

I've settled on the Sierra 100 grain Pro Hunter. I've only recovered one, and it was a hard quartering toward shot at 40 yards that hit a big bodied buck in the shoulder, destroyed it and I found it perfectly mushrooomed under the hide at the last rib on the opposite side. The 100 grain Gamekings have been good as well.

A friend has loaded the 100 grain Remington CoreLokt bullets for years and I'm tired of dragging his deer for him.

I'm gonna try the newer 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, which has a very thick jacket, unlike the older ones. I've heard great things about it.

It's a reloader friendly cartridge IMO, and several powders work well, but H 4350 is your best friend.
I've heard the Ballistic Tips are made now with thicker jackets too. They used to be bombs.

41Magnum

Killed a large truck load of deer with the .243. I've used everything from 85, 100 gr. Nosler partitions, Speer Grand Slams in reloads, for factory ammo Remington Core-Lokts and Federal Fusions were the best out of my rifles. Put the bullet where it belongs and you will have no issues. I never lost a deer with it.

Safari Hunt

Yes, on my second one. Made the mistake of selling a tack-driver Remington 700 ADL, .243. Savage Axis in the safe. Grandson at the time was a bit shy of the 30/06 recoil. Now he's bigger than me.

downthebrown

I hate the 243

Kills deer fine

95 Nosler ballistic tips
Over re15
Set it forget it

I have loaded this rd for several members

They have killed the best bucks
Female Buffalo
Plenty of does

Works good for kids too
I can attest to this load! I have bang flopped 7 with it. Never had one take a step since shooting it. I know that will change one day but very happy with this DA special!

Latest posts