Bullet weight for hunting?

TRIGGER

I spent some more time with my new rifle yesterday. It loves 150 grain and likes 180 grain. The 180's shoot almost MOA. I know the weight vs velocity argument has been beat to death all over the internet but thought I would get y'all's opinions. I have 1 spot that could be 300 yards the rest are 200 max.

backyardtndeer

Guessing you are shooting a .30 caliber? I really like the 178 grain eld x for my 308's. My 308's seen to do better with the 165's to 180's. I hand load, but the Hornady ammunition is supposed to be pretty accurate, and those bullets in my experience have been very effective.

Andy S.

I have shot the 150 grain bullets from my .270 for years with success.
Sage advice above. I've shot 130 grains in my .270 for right at 30 years with 98% success. I'd attribute the 2% to poor shot placement (Me), not the gun/bullet/etc. To add, my bud killed a pile of deer with .257 110 grain Barnes for years. He killed deer from TN to Canada with his setup. Very few of his deer ever took a step.

Last edited:

ImThere

I shoot 130's out of my 270 and 150's out of my 308 with great success. I shoot coreloks, hornady and Winchester. They all do the job. I will say the hornadys broke up inside a couple of deer

dhpro

I don't personally feel a deer shoulder or rib will be able to tell the difference between 150 or 180 . I shoot 180 in my 30/06 in a good bullet because that's what my gun likes . Shoot what the gun likes

Rubberduck270

Remi is spot on. Bullet construction is more important than it's weight (in most cases). At 300 yards max I would take the more accurate bullet over the heavier bullet. I would guess both will arrive with close to the same amount of energy.

Smells Like Sulfur

I shoot muzzleloaders exclusively, both a 177 grain ball and a 350 grain bullet will drop a deer, or anything else, with a decently well placed shot. Both loads require different powder charges, move at different velocities, and have different recoil.

There's a lot more than just bullet weight at play. Speed, ballistic coefficient, and the ability to spread out and dissipate its energy into the target are all factors.

Harold Money jr

The worry of long range shooting is unfounded. The bullets designed for long range shooting are almost always heavy for caliber. I like 2 holes in the deer I shoot so I'd suggest a quality bullet that expands reliably and penetrates deeply.

Boll Weevil

To the OP, either is fine.

The comments about bullet construction are spot on. With some of he modern monolithics like Barnes or Hammer speed is unbelievably terminal with good shot placement. A 22-250 or 220 Swift humpin' along over 3800 fps is like a lil grenade.

Latest posts