TFT - IA DNR Research

paboom

The TFT website has an update on the Iowa research project. You can go read it there but a few highlights:

OVERALL, FOR 2022:
● A total of 73 hens were marked last winter.

● As of early August, 27 hens have died for a mortality rate of 38%.

● Of 63 hens available to nest starting on May 1, only 7 nests hatched successfully (i.e., hatched at least one egg; 11% hen success rate).

● Of 33 hens marked with GPS transmitters, 7 hens did not incubate a nest, 17 incubated 1 nest, 8 incubated 2 nests, and 1 incubated 3 nests.

● Most of the nest failure was due to predation, however, one nest failed due to hay mowing and one failed due to abandonment by the hen

● The median day of nest failure was 8 days, and a preliminary nest survival model indicates 50% of nests failed by day 10 of incubation.

● Of the 7 nests that successfully hatched, the average clutch size was 9.9 eggs per nest and the average number of eggs hatched was 7.7 eggs per nest.

● Of the 54 eggs that hatched, 18 poults were observed during poult captures conducted within 1-3 days post-hatch and a total of 12 poults were marked with VHF/radio transmitters. During 4-week flush counts for 6 of the 7 hens that hatched a nest, a total of 4 poults remained alive. One hen was not flushed because her transmitter failed prior to the 4-week flush count.

Lots of concerning facts, but one stands out, if I'm reading it correctly. 26 of 33 hens attempted a nest. Of those nests, 17 of the 19 nests that failed, (89%) were due to predation.

knightrider

How is this groundbreaking news to anyone? The reason they're fewer turkeys is because of no poults because of predators! Its very simple the decline started after the flocks fluctuated out to land carry capacity than trapping and hunting of nest predators virtually stopped all together within the last 15 years. No poults= no turkeys

timberjack86

Yep this is no surprise instead of really focusing on predators Twra drops the limit. I'm not opposed to it but we should have open season night time predator hunting and trapping on all nest predators not just the coons and possums. And include wmas to this as well. Nothing Changed on South Cherokee wma as far as I can tell except the bag limits on turkeys and they pushed the season back alittle bit. It will help but won't help with the nest predators.

Last edited:

Latest posts