Predator research...

AT Hiker

Which is few and far between and quite interesting, imo. I know many of us, including some researchers, really want to say "trap predators and all will be good" or something along those lines. Unfortunately, not much proof exist. Long term speaking.

Take this study done in the 1970's ( cannot find a more recent one). Intense predator management was conducted, to include poisoning(which simply will not happen in todays world) and the intensity of such trapping/poison is something 99% of us just simply couldn't do nor do we have access to such large swaths of land. The intensity of this type predator control is wild. Placing poisoned eggs every 300 yards, over 5,000 trapping nights from March to June and areas ranging in size from 1,800 acres to 4,700 acres.

In a nut shell, trapping did work....for nesting/hatching success. Unfortunately, poults per hen when "poults were large enough to be seen from a vehicle" was negligible. Heavily trapped area had 6 poults/hen while the control are had 5.7 poults/hen.

IMO, this shows how important habitat is. Nesting, brooding and nutrition.

AT Hiker

The land & legacy guys have been saying for the past couple years that people need to spend their time improving habitat instead of trapping.

I've learned from trapping critters on my place that no matter how many you take out new ones always come along and fill the void.
Very true, hence timing is critical to maximize what little good you're doing.
Also, turkeys disperse and sometimes disperse a crazy distance. So, what benefits the population might have from your efforts might only be felt miles away and you'll never notice the impact.

I really believe habitat improvement is imperative but I also believe something else is hiding in the dark.

Rockhound

I trap just to have something to do, but I can't help to believe that every nest predator you take off the landscape will help, especially raccoons with their home range. Where it really has an effect Is, places like the southern counties that have severe population issues. In places where you may have 10 hens in 10 square miles, the nest predators outnumbered the nest 10:1.

DoubleRidge

While I do agree that dead coons don't eat eggs (and dead coyotes don't eat fawns) and if I was retired and could run a trap line daily I would enjoy doing it...I trapped as a kid and have some great memories and experiences....but as for helping poults (and fawns) I have no doubt that improving the habitat will bring a greater return on investment.

DoubleRidge

I've learned from trapping critters on my place that no matter how many you take out new ones always come along and fill the void.
Good friend of mine had the same experience....last year he stopped counting somewhere around 80+ nest raiders... mostly trapping raccoon and opossum (and shooting armadillo)...he said they all just keep coming....it's truly amazing.

Soft Talker

Funny how most complain about predators, but yet continue to hunt over corn. They trap and shoot the piss out of them, and then wonder why they keep coming back😄

DoubleRidge

Funny how most complain about predators, but yet continue to hunt over corn. They trap and shoot the piss out of them, and then wonder why they keep coming back😄
Friends I know who are dedicated to trapping and shooting nest raiders do not hunt over corn. But zero doubt baiting makes the issue worse. In addition to the concentration of predators there's the risk of aflatoxin poisoning.

AT Hiker

Good friend of mine had the same experience....last year he stopped counting somewhere around 80+ nest raiders... mostly trapping raccoon and opossum (and shooting armadillo)...he said they all just keep coming....it's truly amazing.
Take a look at the study I posted. 5 years of extreme trapping and poisoning on 4700 acres. The cost today would be outrageous not to mention the time involved (back then trappers willingly trapped because of the market).
You and I trapping on 5-100-300 acres here and there is not going to do anything in the grand scheme of things.
Heck, trapping on a small piece of land might actually have a negative impact. Think about your friend, are his efforts creating more predators on the landscape?

DoubleRidge

Take a look at the study I posted. 5 years of extreme trapping and poisoning on 4700 acres. The cost today would be outrageous not to mention the time involved (back then trappers willingly trapped because of the market).
You and I trapping on 5-100-300 acres here and there is not going to do anything in the grand scheme of things.
Heck, trapping on a small piece of land might actually have a negative impact. Think about your friend, are his efforts creating more predators on the landscape?
Interesting study... agree, at today's cost, based on the results, you couldn't justify the expense....But the study doesn't say trapping is a waste of time....I just think the study points out that the return on your investment may not be what you hope for....and investing the same resources into habitat improvements would likely give hens and poults a better chance of survival.... again, interesting study...thanks for sharing.