Turkey predators

TheLBLman

One reason we don't see this more often is simply because coyotes have largely displaced our native foxes in TN. The fox is relatively rare in my neck of the woods.

In my youth, there were a lot more foxes, and no coyotes.
Almost zero turkeys in most of West & Middle TN as well.

As fur trapping declined, bobcat populations grew, and the coyotes moved in (although the coyote migration had little to do with the trapping decline). Coyotes displaced the foxes.

One big "evolutionary" change I've witnessed since my youth is that while coyotes & bobcats once were much more nocturnal (in most of West & Middle TN), they now seem to hunt about as much during the day as at night.

I attribute this daytime hunting more to our once not having turkeys to now having turkeys, which coyotes & bobcats can mainly only hunt during the day. I don't think coyotes & bobcats roam around as much during day as at night, but they certainly do spend much of their days hunting turkeys (as well as squirrels).

I believe coyotes & bobcats do kill a lot of young turkeys, but maybe not as many adult birds as many want to think. More of their diets seem to be small birds, rodents (like mice and field rats), rabbits, and of course squirrels. Add carrion and the occasional house cat, and we have some well-fed predators.

Suspect the foxes are behaving similarly.
I just rarely even get a trail cam pic of a fox anymore.

Last edited:

BSK

One reason we don't see this more often is simply because coyotes have largely displayed our native foxes in TN. The fox is relatively rare in my neck of the woods.

In my youth, there were a lot more foxes, and no coyotes.
Almost zero turkeys in most of West & Middle TN as well.

As fur trapping declined, bobcat populations grew, and the coyotes moved in (although the coyote migration had little to do with the trapping decline). Coyotes displaced the foxes.

One big "evolutionary" change I've witnessed since my youth is that while coyotes & bobcats once were much more nocturnal (in most of West & Middle TN), they now seem to hunt about as much during the day as at night.

I attribute this daytime hunting more to our once not having turkeys to now having turkeys, which coyotes & bobcats can mainly only hunt during the day. I don't think coyotes & bobcats roam around as much during day as at night, but they certainly do spend much of their days hunting turkeys (as well as squirrels).

I believe coyotes & bobcats do kill a lot of young turkeys, but maybe not as many adult birds as many want to think. More of their diets seem to be small birds, rodents (like mice and field rats), rabbits, and of course squirrels. Add carrion and the occasional house cat, and we have some well-fed predators.

Suspect the foxes are behaving similarly.
I just rarely even get a trail cam pic of a fox anymore.
For some strange reason, even though I'm loaded with coyotes, I've been getting this fox (actually, I think it's a pair) quite frequently, at night in the food plots. This is my first daylight video of the fox.

And you're right about bobcats and coyotes. I'm amazed at how many daylight videos I get of bobcats of late. In fact, it's the vast majority.

fairchaser

In my part of the state, I have never seen a grey fox from the stand. Although I've seen many bobcats. Usually at least one every season from the deer stand. I conclude they are very rare at least here. From the actions of this one, he ain't real smart chasing flying turkeys across an open field. Cool to see though!

TheLBLman

From the actions of this one, he ain't real smart chasing flying turkeys across an open field. Cool to see though!
That particular fox has likely already killed a few younger turkeys this year via similar methods.

Can't say I've ever seen a fox even stalking a turkey, but do know the coyotes & bobcats can be particularly lucky with younger poults. As those poults get older, same methods may not work at all.

Bobcats & coyotes can both jump (and seemingly jump higher) than a turkey can take off from the same moment. Mr. Fox is likely better off just sticking to mice and other small things.

Smells Like Sulfur

We've lost three chickens to a bobcat in the past month. A few days ago, in broad daylight, I watched one run out of the woods, snatch a chicken, and run back into the woods. I chased it, it got to a fence and had to drop the chicken, but the chicken was already dead, and the cat was gone.

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
From states I trap and have trapped, Montana, the Dakota's, NE, my reservation in MN, TN, south to Georgia, the coyote populations are stable and have displaced red fox. There are a few states, predomintantly in the North East where Reds are still very common and some good fox trappers put up some big numbers (hundreds) every year. I have spoke to many excellent trappers about this dynamic and every one to a man has the same questions without solid answers. Yes, coyotes always get the blame. All the good trappers and snaremen I know personally will tell you a coyote is about 3 times as hard to trap as a fox. They are more shy, taller, larger home range, disperse faster, more "intelligent", keener nose, larger foot pad, and on and on and on. Bottom line, coyotes are "better" killers, tougher, faster on killing their nemesis fox. Greys are great climbers and yet the grey population, at least where I am here on the Cumberland Plateau are way down. Reds are more apt to den near human habitation, barns, outbuildings, etc.......that is a universal trait.

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
My good hunting partner of 32 years had this pic on his property. Thought I would share it. Bobcat and deer together. The largest cat trapped there on his farm was a 35 pound male.
image0 (22).jpeg

Latest posts