Huge Research Findings

fairchaser

What about the GPS collared studies proving the majority of nest initiation in TN isn't until late April / early May? It's well known that turkey hens allow toms to mate with them about 8 to 10 days before they initiate nests, and will allow multiple toms to mate with them if males are still alive to ensure maximum fertility during egglaying.

Forget the 'dominant tom' theory... in many places there may only 1 or 2 toms for miles. Kill them off before the hens have bred and see how many eggs hatch even if every single predator is removed.

Now don't get me wrong... nest predation is the single no 1 reason for loss of adult hens and their eggs. But good luck getting more than 2 to 3% of even the most avid turkey hunters to run traps. We got lucky last spring in TN with the dry weather... simply because the predators had a harder time smelling for wet hens setting.... it wasn't due to more turkey hunters removing more nest predators.
I agree that something needs to be done because I see the declines too. But, one thing at a time please. Throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks is not management but desperation.

Roost 1

If some of you guys had your way there wouldn't be any turkeys left. Regardless of the reasons you can not manage a declining population the same way as either a growing or stable population. The regulation changes are about 5yrs too late. Sometimes we just have to put the good of the resource above our selfish wants.
I'll say it again, Quit feeding the birds and your nest predator problem will go away!!

fairchaser

It may be that desperation is the appropriate way to describe it. It seems the outlook is grim.
Often it takes many seasons, even a decade to determine what management changes will work. There are many variables involved in the rise and fall of game levels. Effective management changes can be disguised by normal year to year changes. Once rule changes are effective and proven over many years, they can be relied on. These are known practices but this feels more knee jerk. In a year or two, there will be something else.

Outdoor Enthusiast

Often it takes many seasons, even a decade to determine what management changes will work. There are many variables involved in the rise and fall of game levels. Effective management changes can be disguised by normal year to year changes. Once rule changes are effective and proven over many years, they can be relied on. These are known practices but this feels more knee jerk. In a year or two, there will be something else.
Yeah I agree.

I know that for myself I am starting to dabble with trapping nest predators this winter. It may not make much difference, but trying to do my part as best I can.

My oldest daughter is just now getting old enough to shoot a small shotgun so I am certainly interested in helping her have an opportunity to hunt turkeys like I have.

deerfever

It may be that desperation is the appropriate way to describe it. It seems the outlook is grim.
All the positive post of good hatches, pictures and videos of fields full of turkeys on this site give us all reason to be very optimistic. I have not seen this many pictures, videos and talk of good hatches since I have been on this site. The outlook seems to be looking up! Any amount of trapping and nest predators you can take out will make a difference. Good luck with your trapping!

Steverino

So is the theory of chicken farms and some kind of bird virus not really the case - especially in Giles where in my area turkeys are rare. I do see a coyote here and there on the cameras but usually not much of them either.

JCDEERMAN

We've really trapped like hell in 2022. Saw tons more poults than I ever remember in the 23 years we've had the place.

2020: 12 coons, skunks and grinners
2021: 25 coons, skunks and grinners
2022: 93 coons skunks and grinners

About 30 armadillos each of the last 8 years or so

I've seen more turkeys this fall/winter than ever before. We have a flock of 17 gobblers roaming around. Several flocks of 20-30 hens. I know these are winter flocks and may not be anywhere around come spring, that's just what we've observed. Of course, we've made some major habitat improvements as well.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Nest raiders have always been the number one predator problem for turkeys. Always have and always will. There is no "controlling" them to the point that it will make a reasonable impact on turkey production without something like poisoning them. The decline of the wild turkey in Tennessee was not because of nest raiders.

Latest posts