Any Interest in starting a TFT chapter in East Tennessee ?

Kelljp

Was talking to TFT's Director of Outreach this morning about the projects they are supporting and he mentioned the two TN chapters ( Jackson & Murfreesboro). We both commented East TN is ideal location for a chapter. The big problem I've always had with programs like this is having members that are willing to volunteer their time to make things happen? Are there any other East Tennesseans that have an interest in starting a chapter in this end of the state ?

DoubleRidge

It wasnt until recently that I even knew what TFT was or what they were about? So for those who may be interested but need some information (copied from website):

"Turkeys For Tomorrow was founded two years ago to address the nationwide decline in wild turkey numbers. Our work supports academic research to precisely define the problem, and it helps hunters and land managers learn how they can be a key part of the solution. This two- pronged approach is giving land managers and policymakers the tools they need for the future, while applying common-sense tactics to help populations right away".

Also read on the website that Turkeys For Tomorrow is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.

Kelljp

Sorry for not giving more details in original message.
Basically TFT is a grassroots organization that came into creation about 3 years ago due to the decline in the population we all are seeing.
Here is a link with more information.

J.A.F.O.

Sorry for not giving more details in original message.
Basically TFT is a grassroots organization that came into creation about 3 years ago due to the decline in the population we all are seeing.
Here is a link with more information.

Thx,I would definitely be willing to listen and participate in helping/starting/organizing/working a new ETenn chapter as I'm assuming others are too. Excited to see where this could go and benefit the birds.
Thx and look forward to some more news and information.

Soft Talker

No Sir, the Turkeys I choose to hunt are doing just fine in these rugged Southern Appalachian mountains.;)

Soft Talker

I wish we all could say that. I would give anything to see flocks here like we had up to 5 years ago.
I'm different than most. I don't need to hear 12 different Gobblers at daylight, or see several flocks of 40 or more throughout the year to make me happy. As long as there are a few Longbeards around, Spring and early Fall, for me to attempt to yelp up, I am good. Because of there ruggedness, these mountains have and always will hold pure strain Eastern Wild Turkeys. This, combined with the ever increasing pressure they receive, at least the easily accessible areas, will guarantee I always have a few to hunt ;) For this I will always be grateful

Soft Talker

Although I deer and hog hunt, I am ate up with hunting Turkeys. There are very few left, who hunt as I do. Personally, I have no faith in any of todays organizations, or many of todays hunters, for that matter. Just the way I see and my opinion.

Kelljp

Although I deer and hog hunt, I am ate up with hunting Turkeys. There are very few left, who hunt as I do. Personally, I have no faith in any of todays organizations, or many of todays hunters, for that matter. Just the way I see and my opinion.
I know where your coming from. I don't hunt anything seriously but turkeys for the last few years. One reason I no longer am a member (after 25 years) of NWTF, is the focus was being driven by big box companies wanting to sell you a mass produced call or gadget. They were successful in producing a more efficient killer with all the videos showing high dollar setups ( blinds, decoys, mapping tools, fanning...) . Which between that and natural predators I feel is part of the problem. I glad you still have access to less pressured areas.

Kelljp

Soft Talker

I know where your coming from. I don't hunt anything seriously but turkeys for the last few years. One reason I no longer am a member (after 25 years) of NWTF, is the focus was being driven by big box companies wanting to sell you a mass produced call or gadget. They were successful in producing a more efficient killer with all the videos showing high dollar setups ( blinds, decoys, mapping tools, fanning...) . Which between that and natural predators I feel is part of the problem. I glad you still have access to less pressured areas.
It's funny, because upon having literally, tens of thousands of acres to hunt, where I could indeed, get away from everyone, some of my best and favorite spots to hunt, are less than 400yrds off main forest roads. I just enjoy the challenge of calling to the gun and killing the tough ones. :)

Kelljp

It's funny, because upon having literally, tens of thousands of acres to hunt, where I could indeed, get away from everyone, some of my best and favorite spots to hunt, are less than 400yrds off main forest roads. I just enjoy the challenge of calling to the gun and killing the tough ones. :)
Absolutely!!! My hunting experience is so much more rewarding since I reduced the junk I carry. Slate call and a trumpet with my double barrel makes for some of my best days.

Soft Talker

Absolutely!!! My hunting experience is so much more rewarding since I reduced the junk I carry. Slate call and a trumpet with my double barrel makes for some of my best days.
I don't leave the truck without a Buice yelper around my neck. Anymore, its the only call I tote;) Looking forward to Unicoi next week.

Latest posts