Tell me the truth

diamond hunter

Tell me the truth,can you make any difference at all by supplying minerals to deer on a farm year round for increased antler development? I have friends that believe its so. I need so,e facts,my farm is in Macon county.

Lincoln Co Archer

There are so many variables in the wild that my gut says that any impact on antler development by supplying just minerals is most likely negligible. My opinion with no facts to back that up haha. That being said, I still do it mainly for the purpose of trail camera inventory.

megalomaniac

Nope.

But mineral sites sure are great for getting census pics which help to manage deer herds.

And if that census indicates your local population is skewed toward way too many does, removing extra mouths competing for food will improve antler scores of bucks by optimizing their nutrition (minerals are not nutrition).

Have fun putting out salt. Have fun getting tons of pics over the salt. But don't fool yourself into thinking you are improving antler scores in the process.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Jmed

I dont think you can dictate genetics or increase antlers by doing anything to a wild herd. I put minerals out because my deer like them and it gets them in front of the camera.

JCDEERMAN

megalomaniac":2l07io05 said:
Nope.

But mineral sites sure are great for getting census pics which help to manage deer herds.

And if that census indicates your local population is skewed toward way too many does, removing extra mouths competing for food will improve antler scores of bucks by optimizing their nutrition (minerals are not nutrition).

Have fun putting out salt. Have fun getting tons of pics over the salt. But don't fool yourself into thinking you are improving antler scores in the process.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Agreed with all of the above from others, but mega nailed it

TNTreeman

I view it as about like me taking a good multi vitamin every day. I don't see any miracle effects but it has to do something and hopefully doesn't hurt. I put out salt licks to get pics and do inventory of the deer. It doesn't really cost much to add a supplement to the salt- not one with a monster buck pic- just a " multi vitamin " type additive that may have a slight benefit but may also serve as an additional attractant.

megalomaniac

Jmed":2fox3y69 said:
I dont think you can dictate genetics or increase antlers by doing anything to a wild herd. I put minerals out because my deer like them and it gets them in front of the camera.

I agree completely that you cannot change genetics in a wild herd, and you don't even need to... MS proved that all deer have the same genetic potential (for top scoring deer and terribly scoring deer) across the spectrum.

But I completely disagree with the statement that you cannot increase antlers in a wild herd. When it comes to antlers, it's ALL about age and nutrition. Provide more than enough high quality forage consistently for a herd throughout their lives, and then subsequent offspring lives and you WILL see an increase in antler size. Notice I again did not include supplemental minerals. That won't mean squat. If your plants (nutrition for deer) are growing optimally, they will contain all the calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, etc your deer will ever need.

Of course, providing optimum year round nutrition for your local herd is neither cheap nor easy usually. And incredibly difficult in areas with poor soils.

Ski

As I understand it, a buck's potential is greatly dictated by the mother's health in early stages of pregnancy. Given that a pregnant doe will absolutely destroy mineral licks in very early spring, it's hard not to think you're positively influencing future rack size. She's obviously taking in a lot of nutrition that she isn't getting naturally, or at the very least a surplus of nutrition beyond natural. So while you might not necessarily be helping a buck grow bigger antlers, you just might be helping a doe have healthier fawns, which pays dividends for future bucks.

Ladys man

catman529":1gl6sgdl said:
Headhunter":1gl6sgdl said:
Age is the number one factor to larger antlers.
100% for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree but genetics and food surrounding those absolutely help. the biggest deer are killed between 3-5 yrs of age imo

catman529

Ladys man":2e2qb3ri said:
catman529":2e2qb3ri said:
Headhunter":2e2qb3ri said:
Age is the number one factor to larger antlers.
100% for sure

I agree but genetics and food surrounding those absolutely help. the biggest deer are killed between 3-5 yrs of age imo
genetics and nutrition help, but age is always the biggest factor. And 5.5 is not a young deer

Latest posts