Take me through a day...

Bloodwolf1984

A normal day.....I get to my tree and climb in the dark....wait for sun to come up...enjoy the day ...sometimes cold ...and hope I have an encounter....I dont always see deer. .but I enjoy every single day of it...because I never know when it's gonna be the last one I get to do

BigCityBubba

Thisx1000. Don't mean to sound like a jerk but anybody can set an alarm for 4 A.M., go crawl into a shooting house with snacks and heaters, and use their cannon to shoot anything within 300 yards in an open field. The "hunting" comes from putting boots on the ground and acquiring as much knowledge as possible to outsmart one of these amazing creatures. Your kill next season starts as soon as this season ends. Get a topo map of where you want to hunt and start looking at vegetative species and how they coincide with the terrain. Woods should be littered with deer sign post rut so note scrapes, rubs, trails, bedding, etc. Go buy you a bow and a climber and get good with it. Come back next summer and start putting together a plan to get yourself into an area of sign and take great joy in the year long hunt. Not the pursuit of a Boone and Crockett buck, but the hunt of what your land provides.
Hey!!!!! I resemble that remark, except I don't need to wake up that early because I just walk out the back door and down the hill a few hundred yards.

BigCityBubba

If you do have access to a fair amount of land, you can spot and stalk. I used to have access to 235 acres with miles of logging roads. I love to spot and stalk in the rain. I have killed several that way. They can't hear you, smell you, and it messes with their vision. Surprisingly they aren't that skittish either like they are in heavy winds. You can get fairly close to them. I killed my first buck worthy of the wall in the rain walking down a logging road. Unfortunately, I lost access to that land and ended up buying 35 acres which I crawl up into a shooting house with snacks and a heater and use a cannon to shoot deer in the next county.

Mud Creek

4:00 a.m.- Wake up
4:10 a.m.- coffee
4:15 a.m.- Gather snacks
4:25 a.m.- 2nd cup of coffee
4:30 a.m.- Fill Thermos
4:35 a.m.- Fill toilet
4:45 a.m.- Gather gear and get ready
5:00 a.m.- Out the Door
5:30 a.m.- In stand
6:00 a.m.- Totally optimistic of deer activity
6:01-9:30 a.m.- 6589 Squirrels spotted
9:35 a.m.- Snack time(save half for lunch)
9:37 a.m.- Hear twig snap and leaves crunch, definitley sounds like a big deer
9:38 a.m. - Nevermind just 2 squirrels running
9:43 a.m.- Better finish lunch or I won't make it
9:45 a.m.- Check tndeer
9:46 a.m.- catch movement out of my eye
9:48 a.m.- realize it's just another squirrel
10:00 a.m.- Start thinking mid morning nap@home before afternoon hunt would be ideal
10:15 a.m.- Get focused, decide to hunt until 12
10:31 a.m.- check time to see if its 12 yet
10:46 a.m.- Decide to SLOWLY stand and stalk out of woods
10:47 a.m. - 5 unseen does and a mature shooter buck blow and run away
10:50 a.m.- start slow and dejected walk out
11:00 a.m. Come up with good excuse to tell wife and daughter to hide embarrassment
11:14 a.m.- bump more deer on the walk out
11:30 a.m.- Back home "That's why it's called huntin not killing" **forced fake smile**

At least thats how most of my deer hunts go, with a Unicorn 3 pointer mixed in somewhere during the season!!!

M4A1

What is your goal? Are you looking to put meat in the freezer or hunting for horns? What you want will largely dictate how you approach it.
If I am going to make all the effort to go out to Tennessee to hunt, I'll fill my freezer(or someone else's), but I wouldn't pass up a wall hanger. If that makes sense

Latest posts