Incidental take elk?

lafn96

Anyone here ever gotten an elk via the incidental take? The way it's worded, it doesn't specifically say if it's one per hunter or one elk taken this way state-wide between all hunters. If it's only one state-wide, how would you know if one had been taken earlier that day? Fat chance of it happening for me, but they are only about 50 miles north. I assume they allow this to try and limit the elk herd to those specific counties?

"A legal deer hunter may harvest an elk (either sex) incidental to deer hunting on all private and public lands open to deer hunting except for public and private lands located in Anderson, Campbell, Claiborne, Scott, and Morgan counties and except for Big South Fork River and Recreation Area, Scott State Forest, and Obed National Scenic River Corridor. Only one elk per year may be harvested incidental to legal deer hunting."

DeerCamp

Anyone here ever gotten an elk via the incidental take? The way it's worded, it doesn't specifically say if it's one per hunter or one elk taken this way state-wide between all hunters. If it's only one state-wide, how would you know if one had been taken earlier that day? Fat chance of it happening for me, but they are only about 50 miles north. I assume they allow this to try and limit the elk herd to those specific counties?

"A legal deer hunter may harvest an elk (either sex) incidental to deer hunting on all private and public lands open to deer hunting except for public and private lands located in Anderson, Campbell, Claiborne, Scott, and Morgan counties and except for Big South Fork River and Recreation Area, Scott State Forest, and Obed National Scenic River Corridor. Only one elk per year may be harvested incidental to legal deer hunting."
My take on that is one incidental elk per hunter, no?

backyardtndeer

Highly unlikely that one will ever wander into my sights, but who knows. Good to keep up on the regs around that as they are likely to change.

TN Larry

I never knew that was possible. I also don't understand the logic behind it if they're really wanting to grow the elk herd in that area.

But dang some elk backstrap would be good!
They are wanting to contain them to the elk counties mentioned above. You can only take one outside of those counties. There was a small bull seen back in the summer several times on I40 between Monterey and Cookeville. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he'd be legal for a deer hunter.

I wished they do the same with the dang bears. They keep creeping west.

Lost Lake

They are wanting to contain them to the elk counties mentioned above. You can only take one outside of those counties. There was a small bull seen back in the summer several times on I40 between Monterey and Cookeville. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he'd be legal for a deer hunter.

I wished they do the same with the dang bears. They keep creeping west.
I didn't realize that. I also didn't know how destructive elk could be to the local habitat.

I've heard tons of comments on how bad the bears have gotten on the eastern side of the Plateau area.

TN Larry

He was behind the Dollar Store on 111 in Rickman a few weeks ago. Everyone in the area got educated on the "incidental take" rule real quick! Haven't heard of a sighting lately.
I had heard that as well…..think it was a week before bow season. I haven't heard anything since.

chris1976

There was a spike bull killed on Montgomery/Dickson county line this season. TWRA checked it out but haven't heard anything since. I'm guessing it was an escapee from a game farm somewhere.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 8.11.36 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 8.11.36 PM.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 39

C1295

Didnt a hunter get in a lot of trouble for just this several years ago in Cumberland county?
yeah, but it was in the restricted area were you can't accidently shoot one 🤣. But, just my opinion if you accidently shot an Elk for a deer you shouldn't be hunting.... that person is a danger to us all with a gun.... lol I guess if its Brown its down. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts