Buck fever got me

Black Titan

My third day in this spot. Been hunting morning and evening, no sign of deer. Im situated on top of a knob in a ridgeline. Finally this morning about 9:45 I hear a blow off to my 2 o clock down the hill. I had been using my grunt. Just a couple grunts every 30 minutes or so. After I heard the blow, I stood up, gave a soft grunt. All of a sudden I spot movement to my left. At first I thought it was another tree rat. I saw brown at ground level. But it was the head of the deer coming up the hill.

I raised my bow, hooked my release, and the deer came out perfectly broadside, about 15 yards away. I thought it was a doe at first, but it turned its head and I saw it was a spike. I was hyperfocused on a small quarter sized spot behind its front shoulder.

Now, this is only my 5th sit, and 6th hunt. I've never killed a deer.

I could instantly hear my heartbeat going a gazillion miles an hour, and im trembling, ragged breath, telling myself to calm down, and I just stood there froze. I don't think I could have even drawn a 10 pound bow at this point, much less my 70 pound bow.

All over a darn spike. This whole thing felt like an eternity, but I bet it played out in less than 30 seconds. The deer got even closer, looking around frantically. I was happy my grunting actually called one in. He then locked eyes with me and froze, me still sitting there with my bow raised, pointed right at him, not moving a muscle except for the trembling. He threw up the white flag and bounded down the hill towards where I heard the other deer blow, then I heard several more blows right after he disappeared.

So, long story short, I let him walk, decided to give him another year. Lol.

Any tips to get over buck fever? I don't know if my heart has ever raced so fast.

BT

cbhunter

Love it man! That's what it's all about right there. Wish I still got buck fever! Can't say I've been rattled in many many moons unfortunately and I've killed some great bucks over the years. Probably why I don't have the drive to hunt like I did when I was younger. Maybe if I got back into bow hunting and had a good buck in bow range, it might happen again. Keep with it bud

Lost Lake

I still get excited after a lot of years of hunting. If I don't get the occasional buck fever, I'll quit.

Something that might help once you decide to take the shot is to develop a step by step process of raising your weapon, aiming, firing/releasing, and following through. Count the steps in your head as you do them. Make it business like.

After the shot you can go back to shaking and vibrating.

lafn96

For the most part; I think it's tied to experience. It will likely lessen the more experience you have. With you never having taken a deer before, and then you have one 15 yards from you - it's completely understandable. Don't turn down the chance to take some does, and also try to take some during ML and rifle seasons. Good job getting out there!

themanpcl

My third day in this spot. Been hunting morning and evening, no sign of deer. Im situated on top of a knob in a ridgeline. Finally this morning about 9:45 I hear a blow off to my 2 o clock down the hill. I had been using my grunt. Just a couple grunts every 30 minutes or so. After I heard the blow, I stood up, gave a soft grunt. All of a sudden I spot movement to my left. At first I thought it was another tree rat. I saw brown at ground level. But it was the head of the deer coming up the hill.

I raised my bow, hooked my release, and the deer came out perfectly broadside, about 15 yards away. I thought it was a doe at first, but it turned its head and I saw it was a spike. I was hyperfocused on a small quarter sized spot behind its front shoulder.

Now, this is only my 5th sit, and 6th hunt. I've never killed a deer.

I could instantly hear my heartbeat going a gazillion miles an hour, and im trembling, ragged breath, telling myself to calm down, and I just stood there froze. I don't think I could have even drawn a 10 pound bow at this point, much less my 70 pound bow.

All over a darn spike. This whole thing felt like an eternity, but I bet it played out in less than 30 seconds. The deer got even closer, looking around frantically. I was happy my grunting actually called one in. He then locked eyes with me and froze, me still sitting there with my bow raised, pointed right at him, not moving a muscle except for the trembling. He threw up the white flag and bounded down the hill towards where I heard the other deer blow, then I heard several more blows right after he disappeared.

So, long story short, I let him walk, decided to give him another year. Lol.

Any tips to get over buck fever? I don't know if my heart has ever raced so fast.

BT
If it ever changes and I don't get that feeling from any deer I am close to shooting, I have finished deer hunting for good....

rem270

If you don't have buck fever then there's no sense in even hunting. I always just try to tell myself to stay calm and try to be chill in the moment. Usually the after effect is the worst for me. I passed up a really good buck last Sunday. After the fact I was shaking so bad if one came up I wanted to shoot I don't think I could've done it.

GRIT

I don't get like that anymore i haven't in the last 15 or so years my best advice to you is to think to yourself it's just a deer that all it is it might help calm you down.

Snake

Try to do like athletes taking a breath and letting it out slowly . It's different for me at times I've literally had the tree I'm in shaking as well as me then at times I don't start that until after the shot. I've had my knees shaking so bad that begin to hurt. I'll have to say it's much worse with a bow for me .

BSK

It's different for me at times I've literally had the tree I'm in shaking as well as me then at times I don't start that until after the shot.
Somehow, I've trained myself to be like that. My heart is pounding and I'm breathing heavy right up to the shot, but I don't "fall apart" until after the shot.

I'll have to say it's much worse with a bow for me .
And that's one of the reasons I gave up bow-hunting. I couldn't get over the buck fever with a bow.

Black Titan

What was crazy to me was when he turned and ran, my heart rate instantly slowed down. The whole racing thing was gone.

Maybe I'll take an extra metoprolol in the morning lol

BT

BSK

What was crazy to me was when he turned and ran, my heart rate instantly slowed down. The whole racing thing was gone.

Maybe I'll take an extra metoprolol in the morning lol

BT
Ha!

Honestly, don't let it bother you. And in fact, now that you've had that feeling, you will anticipate it and it won't freak you out. That alone should help.

Latest posts