Great morning except for me missing a Good Buck.

Stalkhunter

The morning did not start off well, I got a late start but ended up making up time. Got to the farm got Encore06 unloaded and he is heading to shooting house. I told him I would be up. He sat there a minute and as I reached across to start four wheel feet planted on ground I hear and felt a big pop in my left calf.
I went back over to Carl limping and told him I torn something in my calf. I told him to go ahead and go and I would be up there as soon as I could. I got on my four wheeler everything packed, went up to the shooting house got him set in and I was going down to the bottom of the Holler.

I could barely walk up the hill as I parked my four wheeler and had about 120 yard walk. I finally got sit in next to these two Elm trees. I started doing a calling sequence hurting of course lol. I was looking down in the Holler and I see a limb move and I thought was that a deer and I got my binoculars up at about 9 o'clock. I didn't see anything moving in that spot.

So I turn to my left direction I was facing up a perfect hill and there stands a buck at 83 yards after the shot with range finder. I thought was 105 yards my eyes are going. I had to move slightly in my chair and I had no rest cause I normally sit on the ground. I had tree limbs in front of me. I did not cut them because I did not wanna silhouette myself. When I looked back there, I seen this buck standing there I grunted he looked at me just behind a 3 foot pine tree I put the crosshairs on the top of his shoulder, based on me shooting a 300 grain bullet up hill . I never felt the gun go off had a steady hold I thought, but I aimed too high. I over compensated and was sitting shooting in off hand. Aimed at the top of his shoulder and I gave him a haircut. I found just a tad bit of hair but no blown out hair from the other side of him. Smoked cleared and he was hauling ass No blood seen him run like a bat out of heck over the hill.
I looked for about an hour and a half two hours. There's only just so far he can go based on what I thought he fell down in the field if I had hit him, but there was no blood. I search the side of the hill and all directions up down around circled and nothing. I feel very comfortable that I was a good miss. I went up on the other side of the hill past the open field no blood I went up the hill a little ways no blood I circled for probably a good, 200, 300 yards nothing went back and look again nothing so I'm comfortable with missing so I will take time and get back at it again but not today I got to go shoot my gun just to make sure

It was a great hunt this morning with mishaps. Of course that happened and that's OK. I still got a long two weeks to go ibuprofen water up and we're good to go. Good luck out there buddy I am straight shoot straight I need to take my own advice lol.

Last edited:

killingtime 41

Sucks you missed but it's happened to me so I know the feeling. I did that last year I left the woods mad at myself. Got home and shot the gun and it was off. This year I've shot multiple time in hopes I don't do that again.

Stalkhunter

Sucks you missed but it's happened to me so I know the feeling. I did that last year I left the woods mad at myself. Got home and shot the gun and it was off. This year I've shot multiple time in hopes I don't do that again.
I went out and shot and put a good tight group. I rushed the shot on this. When I grunted he looked right at me. That's when I rushed. I should have waited.

I can live with the miss.

fairchaser

Sorry you missed. It happens to all of us. Don't let it bother you too much. It's a long season.

Just so you'll know for next time, any severe angle up or down will cause you to shoot high for the distance. This is because gravity affects the bullet less than a flat shot. Next time aim slightly low for a severe angle shot especially on a ML with a slower bullet. Most good rangefinders can compensate for this and give you a true distance.

Dennis

Sorry you missed. It happens to all of us. Don't let it bother you too much. It's a long season.

Just so you'll know for next time, any severe angle up or down will cause you to shoot high for the distance. This is because gravity affects the bullet less than a flat shot. Next time aim slightly low for a severe angle shot especially on a ML with a slower bullet. Most good rangefinders can compensate for this and give you a true distance.
Technically it's because gravity affects the bullet the same as a flat shot. The horizontal distance to the target is all that matters when considering bullet drop due to gravity. The vertical difference doesn't matter.

fairchaser

Technically it's because gravity affects the bullet the same as a flat shot. The horizontal distance to the target is all that matters when considering bullet drop due to gravity. The vertical difference doesn't matter.
True. Gravity is the same regardless of any angles. A bullet shot straight up or straight down has no horizontal distance and therefore doesn't drop.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Basically, the angled distance of the shot is longer than the true horizontal distance. Think of it as the hypotenuse (C) of a right triangle. The longer leg of the triangle (C) is the upward or downward angle you are shooting; the actual bullet path is the true horizontal (B) distance (the shorter leg of the right triangle).

1699330872158.png

For example, when I am in a tree stand with my bow, I use my rangefinder to tell me the true horizontal distance by shooting a tree straight across from me at the same height of my tree stand. That is the true shooting distance (horizontal) rather than the longer angled shot to the base of the tree. If I used the angled distance I would hit high because the angled distance is longer. Make sense?

Stalkhunter

Well everything you all said is true but muzzle load 50 cal drops 17.5 inches at 100 yards generally speaking. I am sighted in at 25 yards which a lot do and a lot don't. So at 83 yards with 2degree rise from where I was sitting to point of impact, I estimated at time of shot he was 100-110 yards. I was wrong. I held to high.

Bottom line I missed this is only the second time I have missed with my encore. Do I shoot enough probably not but after checking my zero and shooting a tight group the fault was mine.

Right now I am in a tree, good luck all have a great muzzle load season.

Dennis

Well everything you all said is true but muzzle load 50 cal drops 17.5 inches at 100 yards generally speaking. I am sighted in at 25 yards which a lot do and a lot don't. So at 83 yards with 2degree rise from where I was sitting to point of impact, I estimated at time of shot he was 100-110 yards. I was wrong. I held to high.

Bottom line I missed this is only the second time I have missed with my encore. Do I shoot enough probably not but after checking my zero and shooting a tight group the fault was mine.

Right now I am in a tree, good luck all have a great muzzle load season.
If you don't mind me asking, what gun and load are you shooting that drops 17.5 inches at 100 yds?

Stalkhunter

I have to check with the experts first lol, I had a feeling this would turn into a debate.

I wanted to quote stats that are all on line like others do . My gun doesn't drop that far. I made a bad shot plain and simple.

Now that it's a debat

I shoot an encore 50 cal with 300 grain bullet 100 grains of triple 7 powder loose. The bullet by Thompson shock wave, who is out of business. It is scoped with multi reticle Burris scope 3x9 full field II.

No muzzle load shoots the same and no one shooter shoots the same. Plus I don't know how to shoot anyway lol.

🍺🍺🍺🍺🍿🍿🍿

Stalkhunter

Latest posts