Great Morning

Pilchard

Yesterday evening I sat in the stand that my grandfather missed a couple deer out of this past week. I had a bit of activity which included a 3.5yr old 8pt. I nearly shot him but let him walk because I hadn't gotten a good look at his rack. After a standoff where he got my wind he trotted across the field and by the time I decided I should shoot him, it was too late.

This morning I met @scn at our lease with high hopes.

Just before legal shooting time(3 minutes to be exact) I had a deer with a big body come out at 50yds broadside. I could see antlers but couldn't really judge him. He walked off and started fighting with another buck just out of sight when it was finally time to be able to shoot.

Minutes later my hope went away as I had some unwanted visitors:

72140189853__EC1BC64B-7662-485C-A6D5-10EB8BC2F780.jpeg

The cows stayed for what seemed like forever and even walked down into the thicket eating locust pods. They bumped 4 does to me and that was it. After more than an hour the cows moved on and not 10 minutes later, a nice buck came cruising up the narrow field.

I saw that he had a big body and nice rack and decided to shoot him without giving it a second thought.

The shot felt good and he mule kicked and ran off. Steve and I chatted and decided it was best to give him some time just in case. About 5-10 minutes after the shot, I heard crashing about 50yds from where I last saw him.

Steve came over and we immediately found blood where he was standing. We followed it to where I last saw him. His blood trail led us to a fence that Steve crawled under. I was too fat and had to take the long way around to the gap in the fence. The deer went about ten yards on the other side of the fence to the edge of a field. We found blood at the field edge but couldn't find another drop.

Steve went one way and I went the other and I ended up finding him dead in the fence row. My best buck to-date and I am super pleased with him.

My shot was back and hit the back of the lungs and liver. It turns out the crashing I heard was likely him and he just took that long to die.

IMG_6499.jpeg

He was 160lbs dressed and I'll have him euro mounted by @Specializedjon.

I called my grandfather and let him know I got one of the bucks he missed and he told me it wasn't the same deer. He said the two he shot at were much bigger! I'm still bummed he missed but maybe it will keep his fire lit for one more season next year.

Now- there is another part to this story that I'll share in a bit but for now, that's enough.
IMG_6507.jpeg

Snake

Yesterday evening I sat in the stand that my grandfather missed a couple deer out of this past week. I had a bit of activity which included a 3.5yr old 8pt. I nearly shot him but let him walk because I hadn't gotten a good look at his rack. After a standoff where he got my wind he trotted across the field and by the time I decided I should shoot him, it was too late.

Just before legal shooting time(3 minutes to be exact) I had a deer with a big body come out at 50yds broadside. I could see antlers but couldn't really judge him. He walked off and started fighting with another buck just out of sight when it was finally time to be able to shoot.

View attachment 202686

The cows stayed for what seemed like forever and even walked down into the thicket eating locust pods. They bumped 4 does to me and that was it. After more than an hour the cows moved on and not 10 minutes later, a nice buck came cruising up the narrow field.

I saw that he had a big body and nice rack and decided to shoot him without giving it a second thought.

The shot felt good and he mule kicked and ran off. Steve and I chatted and decided it was best to give him some time just in case. About 5-10 minutes after the shot, I heard crashing about 50yds from where I last saw him.

Steve came over and we immediately found blood where he was standing. We followed it to where I last saw him. His blood trail led us to a fence that Steve crawled under. I was too fat and had to take the long way around to the gap in the fence. The deer went about ten yards on the other side of the fence to the edge of a field. We found blood at the field edge but couldn't find another drop.

Steve went one way and I went the other and I ended up finding him dead in the fence row. My best buck to-date and I am super pleased with him.

My shot was back and hit the back of the lungs and liver. It turns out the crashing I heard was likely him and he just took that long to die.

View attachment 202687

I called my grandfather and let him know I got one of the bucks he missed and he told me it wasn't the same deer. He said the two he shot at were much bigger! I'm still bummed he missed but maybe it will keep his fire lit for one more season next year.

Now- there is another part to this story that I'll share in a bit but for now, that's enough.
View attachment 202689
Congrats on a very nice buck .

Pilchard

And now for the rest of the story…

Steve was kind enough to take his truck around through a different way to access the farm to pick up the deer. Together we loaded it onto the tailgate.

Steve said to me "you think he'll ride right there?"

I said, yep. He will be fine and I threw my pack and sweatshirt behind the deer into the bed. Steve gave me a strap to tie him up for good measure so I looped it around his antler and tied him off.

About 15 minutes later we arrived back at the gate and I hopped out of the truck to get the gate. When I did, I looked back and saw the deer was hanging by the strap I tied on. His hind end was on the ground and we had drug him across the blacktop for about half a mile.

We got the deer untied and rolled it into my hitch basket and had a good laugh together about the lack of hair on the deers ham. Two lines that made me laugh from Steve were:

- "ah that's ok, you don't eat that part"

- "now that's some real redneck stuff"

I was just about to drive out the gate when I had remembered my pack and sweatshirt and gun were still in his truck.

Just one problem… my pack and sweatshirt fell out when the buck did… oh crap! We drove back to find my sweatshirt at the edge of the blacktop where we came through a ditch but my pack wasn't there. Apparently someone came along and snatched it in the 10 minutes we were gone.

Oh well… life happens.

IMG_6503.jpeg

Last edited:

Bgoodman30

View attachment 202686

View attachment 202687

View attachment 202689
Congrats!