Summer sausage

Jcalder

Been wanting to play around and make different sausages so I got a meat grinder on Black Friday. Wasn't long and we looked for spices and finally had some one the way. Decided Saturday afternoon that I'd make an attempt at summer sausage on Sunday. Grabbed a bunch of venison roasts I had left from last season. Had the woman pick up a Boston butt and cut it in half. Wish I had weighed the ratio, but it was a bit of this and a bit of that on the pork to venison. Ground it all up and mixed in the spices. Let it sit over night in the fridge. Like a kid on Christmas Eve, I didn't sleep. So I got up at 430 this morning and fired up the pit boss. I had some hesitations on using a pellet grill to smoke these, but that's what I have. Started out on the lowest setting for about 45 minutes. Thing the temp was around 135. Bumped it up to 150 and let it go for about 2 hours. Bumped up once more to 180 and let it go until I had an internal temp of 155. Threw them in an ice bath for 20-25 minutes and they're now resting in the fridge. Hope to try them tomorrow. I had 9 pounds and it made 5 sticks. I weighed out my spices as they come in 25 pound batches. No cheese this time. But will probably try it on the next batch. The seasonings came from ps seasonings. Jalapeño summer sausage. I hope to have a good report tomorrow when I slice one up lol
8D71E586-B1BE-44B8-9D83-CA56F0F1A56D.jpeg
B7ACFCB1-9160-4401-9AC7-4D676EE05314.jpeg
89D8E27C-09DC-4614-BBAC-3FA8573AF012.jpeg
67689995-D51B-4FC2-8681-97AED87D9A72.jpeg

Jcalder

My biggest concern was the smoker. Most are using electric smokers or smoke houses, and those using smoke houses are much more knowledgeable than myself. What I've read was keeping the temps consistent, and not not fluctuating a bunch. The bit boss done great. I was afraid I couldn't get it low enough for the "dry" time, but it worked out great. I did turn them a few times since I didn't hang them, but I'm really not sure it woulda mattered. I did realize I can get about 12 sticks in there so next time I won't be so concerned on my batch size. Also didn't wanna ruin a bunch if I screwed up along the way.

Forvols

GONNA BE REAL GUUD!!! Nicely done.

I have been making SS for years, BIG thing like you noted is temp control to avoid fat out and using the right amount of cure #1. I did my SS in a Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal smoker, pretty good learning curve on temp control with it. Now I have a smokin-it electric smoker pretty much load set and monitor temp on my phone. I usually do the following 115 -1-2 hrs / drying then step up temp 10degrees every hour until I get to 160. Let it go until IT of 145, then bump smoker temp to 170 until final IT of 152-155. Pull and ice water bath as you did. Then hang either outside or at room temp for a few hours, then into the fridge. Concerning food safety ground meat and IT here is a handy pasteurization table and information from another forum:

I make several different types of sausages, you will get hooked and also knowing everything thats in your sausage.

Jcalder

GONNA BE REAL GUUD!!! Nicely done.

I have been making SS for years, BIG thing like you noted is temp control to avoid fat out and using the right amount of cure #1. I did my SS in a Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal smoker, pretty good learning curve on temp control with it. Now I have a smokin-it electric smoker pretty much load set and monitor temp on my phone. I usually do the following 115 -1-2 hrs / drying then step up temp 10degrees every hour until I get to 160. Let it go until IT of 145, then bump smoker temp to 170 until final IT of 152-155. Pull and ice water bath as you did. Then hang either outside or at room temp for a few hours, then into the fridge. Concerning food safety ground meat and IT here is a handy pasteurization table and information from another forum:

I make several different types of sausages, you will get hooked and also knowing everything thats in your sausage.
I've got seasonings for polish sausage, breakfast sausage and 2 types of brats. I enjoyed it and will continue experimenting

Latest posts