18LB Batch of summer sausage

Forvols

Well one thing this cold weather is good for hanging summer sausage outside to bloom after stuffing 18lb batch plain SS + red pepper flakes. Will be in the smoker tomorrow using apple and hickory wood, additional picts to follow.

Attachments

• SS.jpg
    SS.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 71

Carlos

Send me a message if you would consider trading 1# of that for some ammo.
(I lost every bit I had last year, problem with freezer.)

Henry

Well one thing this cold weather is good for hanging summer sausage outside to bloom after stuffing 18lb batch plain SS + red pepper flakes. Will be in the smoker tomorrow using apple and hickory wood, additional picts to follow.
Looks like some good eating.

Nice deck! Did you leave the ladder up to enable the coyotes to some wonderful overnight snacking?

TnTurk

Those look great. Do any of you have a recipe of ingredients you'd like to share? I've got a grinder but have never done summer sausage.

archer19

Archer19 nice. I made snack sticks and jerky already, so this will set me for a while.
I can't hang mine outside, coons, totes, bears everywhere.
I've got the jerky batches!!!!
Snack sticks on next run.

You got a good lookin batch there!!!!!

Forvols

Those look great. Do any of you have a recipe of ingredients you'd like to share? I've got a grinder but have never done summer sausage.
I used to do my own seasoning mix but cost for the amount I make a commercial seasoning is way cheaper. I like the LEM summer sausage and japaleno summer sausage seasoning. I have tried sausage maker, Waltons, Cabela's. I like LEMS BACKWOODS seasoning for this best. Also jerky LEMS sweet and hot and teriyaki is really good.

Forvols

I can't hang mine outside, coons, totes, bears everywhere.
I've got the jerky batches!!!!
Snack sticks on next run.

You got a good lookin batch there!!!!!
Ill be pulling these in and into the fridge in couple of hours. Reason I left the led lights on ...animals. Good smoke tomorrow and I will be done. well for a while. Usually make big batches twice a year end of season and prior to start of deer season.

TnTurk

I used to do my own seasoning mix but cost for the amount I make a commercial seasoning is way cheaper. I like the LEM summer sausage and japaleno summer sausage seasoning. I have tried sausage maker, Waltons, Cabela's. I like LEMS BACKWOODS seasoning for this best. Also jerky LEMS sweet and hot and teriyaki is really good.
Gotcha...thanks for the tip. I'd hate to wate meat based on trial and error testing.

Forvols

Gotcha...thanks for the tip. I'd hate to wate meat based on trial and error testing.
Issue I have found in making my own recipe for seasoning is not waste of meat, but waste of seasoning hard(impossible) to buy .25oz of a seasoning, to mix a recipe and seasonings aren't cheap. Then when you need 4-8 seasoning flavors for a specific sausage/jerky/snack stick blend you end up with alot of leftover seasonings and you have to store in a way that the seasoning won't lose their flavor. Just more work imo. for what I make. I did the same with bbq sauce, used to make my own now I use sweet baby rays for my base then tailor it for the flavors I want.

Forvols

Looks like some good eating.

Nice deck! Did you leave the ladder up to enable the coyotes to some wonderful overnight snacking?
Deck, that was a 2yr adventure. Lumber prices crazy. Put the 2x8 with a beam down the middle framing down first, and then bought some deck boards each payday. Put those down, then finally this past summer got it under insulated metal roof. 12x34 and got my outdoor kitchen on the other end, grill, 2 blackstone griddles smoker, camp chef 2burner. 2 prep tables fans 4 different electrical drops. Everything is pulled together right now due to possible winds. Also, summer till winter got a 50in flat screen. Pretty proud of what we built.

Carlos

That suxx I have an alarm on each freezer. 5yrs ago I had the same issue.
I didn't explain that very well. I kept it stored for 8-9 months and it somehow became freeze-dried. It was hard as a rock, and dry, almost like seasoned firewood.

Henry

Deck, that was a 2yr adventure. Lumber prices crazy. Put the 2x8 with a beam down the middle framing down first, and then bought some deck boards each payday. Put those down, then finally this past summer got it under insulated metal roof. 12x34 and got my outdoor kitchen on the other end, grill, 2 blackstone griddles smoker, camp chef 2burner. 2 prep tables fans 4 different electrical drops. Everything is pulled together right now due to possible winds. Also, summer till winter got a 50in flat screen. Pretty proud of what we built.
Wow, sounds really nice. Well done. Thanks for sharing the spice info. Will check into the LEMs Backwoods.
Wonder if the homemade spices could be freeze dried and vacuum sealed.

Forvols

Wow, sounds really nice. Well done. Thanks for sharing the spice info. Will check into the LEMs Backwoods.
Wonder if the homemade spices could be freeze dried and vacuum sealed.
Yes you could vacuum seal and store. I did that for a while too, the good thing about doing your own spice recipe is you can really tailor flavors and salt level. Try both routes you may like making the spice recipes up.

archer19

Not happy with mine 😩😩
Not terrible but sure isn't great.
Cold temps outside I think made my temp. Lie.
Came out doner than should have 😩😩

Latest posts