summer sausage?

Dodge Man

Anybody make there own deer summer sausage? I love the stuff but have never made my own. What do I need to make it ? What spices and stuff do I need to make it? I am trying to do this as cheep as I can so please help me out. How do you make it from start to finish.

Back Home

They make kits that you can buy at your local outdoor store (Bass Pro, Dicks, etc...).

I wish I could remember the brand I bought at Bass Pro, but it was awful! Read the reviews before you buy a kit. The one I bought had terrible reviews. Didn't know that until after the fact.

Dodge Man

That is kind of why I was wanting to see if anybody made it own there own by making up there own spices and buying the right equipment. I know I can find a kit but most kits can be bought a lot cheeper. If you buy just what you need separate. I make my on spice rub for grilling and for jerky. I don't think it would be that hard if I just knew what most people put in summer sausage. I was also trying to find a way to do it in a oven. I don't have a smoker and don't want to have to go buy one to make this.

deerjackie

get you a food grade 55 gal drum with REPLACEABLE lid. use hot plate or sideburner off of gas grill. cut 8x 8 access door near bottom so you can adjust hot plate or place wood chips and smoker box on elec or propane heat element. use short casings.cut long ones in half if you have already. place thermometer in middle of bbl. you will need to drill a hole and mount it halfway up barrel.you will need a 10x10 sheet metal door rolled slightly and a piano hinge and a closure latch. you need a bbl with plugs in top and drill half inch vent holes [10] in diff places on the bbl. you will be running at 165-200 degrees to get an internal of 156 degrees.google search for a recipe and prepping instructions. there are plenty of those there.you can also find the right size grill grate [thin flexible one] that you can push down to first rib inside bbl and slow smoke turkey,deer parts etc. its all new to me too so for under 35 dollars you can have a slow smoker. dj

medic

When I use to oven to cook summer sausage. I set the temp at 200 and prop the door open about 1 inch to let the mositure out.
Takes about 6-8 hrs this way. I cook until I get a temp in the center of 160

sc8point

CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE OF A PLACE NAMED LEM. I HAVE USED THEIR KITS FOR SEVERAL YEARS. THEY COME WITH INSTRUCTIONS.YOU CAN EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT COMBINATIONS OF VENISON, PORK AND BEEF, FAT AND LEAN UNTIL YOU GET IT LIKE YOU WISH.

deerjackie

ps. if you use propane and fire goes out, shut off gas and open top and open bottom access door. do not try to re light for 10 min.its an eye opening experience.trust me.

deerjackie

i made a batch the other night. forgot to add any beef fat ,smoked at 175-180 for 12 hrs till internal temp got 160 and it was dry. using 55 gal drum with propane side burner from gas grill. i got the cure and seasoningright, just dry.first batch in this smoker so i aint too tore up over it.

Big J

You know I like to add the pork trimmings to mine? Never added beef fat before.

I like to run a tube of White american jalapeno cheese almost the length of my casing and then run the sausage into the case.

IT IS GOOD STUFF BUDDY!!

BigCountry71

i use LEM products.... I get casing and spice from them..... I grind the meat with pork fat in mine. But i have used beef fat as well. I use a Bradley smoker for smoking summer sausage. Easier to control heat. I use pecan chips. Real easy to do. But i like them to sit for a day or so in the fridge in the casings before smoking.

deerjackie

i have messed up more than i ever got right. added ground beef still aint got it right,yet.cook at 170 till 156 internal temp on 55 gal propane with chains from side to side forming an x at top using 2.5x12 in casings.going to hot plates and grind meat more coarse.