Staying CWD Legal Question

DoubleRidge

To put some context on the actual cost, time and perspective of doing a elk skull.
  • Shipping is probably 60% of that $1k
  • I will not touch a whitetail skull for less than $125
  • To do a out of state elk you'll need a propane tank, huge pot, water source and plenty of time. Unless your killing/cleaning more than one elk it's not much more to pay someone to clean it. If you have to factor in a hotel and your time then it's a wash at best.
  • I prefer to do my own and if equipment and time permit I'd rather do it.
  • Holding a mature elk skull in your hands is a humbling experience and will test your skull cleaning abilities

Several great points...Totally understand....guess I'm thinking about the trips we've made....we camp....flexible return date, etc....and we've boiled many deer skulls and yes it's a job.....but I can't imagine paying (or having) that kind of money to spend on a skull.....but everyone's circumstances are different and I can see where in some cases it would be justified....but honestly....if I have the time to burn...sitting around camp cleaning a big elk skull sounds fantastic to me. :)

AT Hiker

Here is what I would consider clean, at least how clean I get them before they are mounted.
However, it took a few months to dry after the large flesh/membrane were removed and rubbed with borax, the borax was then brushed off, a propane torch was used to burn any remaining flesh and a dremel to remove it all.
To get it this clean in a shorter period of time I suppose you could simmer the skull cap, pressure wash then apply borax to aid in drying it out.
AA249417-C393-430E-8D8E-9F6E016DE50E.jpeg

Here is a pic of the brain cavity, lots of nooks n crannies for baby CWD prions to hang out in.
DA55433F-2F9F-4D69-AEAF-56664E00D836.jpeg

Joe2Kool

I've simmered several deer skulls, but it takes 8-10 hours to get them clean. A few times, the nose bones break or crack. Had a skull from last season in the freezer so I tried something a little different.

After skinning it, I pressure washed it about 10 minutes. Got about 80% of it off. After that, I boiled it for about 30-45 minutes then hit it with the pressure washer again. WOW! Much quicker and easier than just simmering. I started at 9 in the morning, and was done about 1 pm. And that included assembling the PW, PWing my concrete patio, and Flex Sealing the 10 gallon garbage can for our western trip.

The boiling will be easy in camp, but supplying water to a pressure washer is the complication. I've seen videos that use a siphon, but that potentially damages the PW pump. Leave in two weeks so I better decide!

Attachments

• IMG_1083[1].JPG
    IMG_1083[1].JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1084[1].JPG
    IMG_1084[1].JPG
    503.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1085[1].JPG
    IMG_1085[1].JPG
    613 KB · Views: 27

Swampster

Heard thru the grapevine but don't have any proof that alot of hunters just disregard the rules here in TN. I wouldn't suggest it though.
Don't have to hear it through the grapevine. A lot of hunters here in (West) Tennessee just disregard all the rules. They are so casual about it they will tell you hunting stories full of multiple legal infractions. I've had people look at me like I'm either a liar or an idiot when I reply that I do not lay down corn.

Latest posts