Staying CWD Legal Question

Joe2Kool

Going on a DIY CO elk hunt in October. For those of you that have done this, and brought back skulls and/or skull plates, what did you do to make it CWD legal to bring back to TN?

timberjack86

On a Colorado mule deer hunt (same rules) For a european skull mount we took a turkey cooker and pot to boil the skull clean.....if your doing shoulder mount....remove cape and cap the skull and scrape clean....de-bone all the meat.
Heard thru the grapevine but don't have any proof that alot of hunters just disregard the rules here in TN. I wouldn't suggest it though.

dgolden

I dropped my elk off at a taxidermist for a euro mount and he shipped it home to me. We saw several game wardens sitting on overpasses. Saw one with a truck pulled over that had multiple racks in the bed. Assuming they were looking down checking trucks as they drove by.

DoubleRidge

I dropped my elk off at a taxidermist for a euro mount and he shipped it home to me. We saw several game wardens sitting on overpasses. Saw one with a truck pulled over that had multiple racks in the bed. Assuming they were looking down checking trucks as they drove by.

We were pulled over returning from a WY deer hunt many years ago just after going under an overpass....state police...not a GW.....while one officer educated us on following too close behind the vehicle ahead of us......the other officer inspected both of our bucks we had in the bed of the truck....he let us off with a warning just after his partner got done checking out our bucks....:)

Lost Lake

if you are going to do a euro, you can skin as much out and take it to a high pressure car wash. Pro tip. Wear a rain suit, because when you hit the brain cavity it is going everywhere.
Another pro tip learned from experience. Make sure to keep your mouth closed when that water hits the brain cavity.

backyardtndeer

In our best efforts to be in total compliance, I paid a processor in Gillette Wyoming to cape my daughter's mule deer. I ate my tag, but would have paid the processor had I killed one.

Weegee

I dropped my elk off at a taxidermist for a euro mount and he shipped it home to me.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? My dad and I are driving to CO for elk this year. I don't know that we'll have time to simmer skulls but I don't want to pay $500 to have a taxidermist clean and ship my skull. If nothing else we can just cap it and clean the meat off.

Lost Lake

Look where we've come! Not only are we hunters but now we also need to be taxidermist, butchers and lawyers to stay out of trouble. What's soccer mom Karen gonna say when we are power washing skulls next to her minivan?
Pretty much why I'm gonna skull cap any buck I kill from now on. Way too much rigaramo for me to put up with now.

DoubleRidge

Thanks for the input. I think we're gonna take a turkey burner and a big stock pot and boil it.

That's what I would do.....if I was doing a shoulder mount I'd cape it and cap the skull....but if not doing a shoulder mount I'd absolutely want a euro skull.
(Long skinny screw driver can be handy for digging around in brain cavity...and a wood handle steel brush for cleaning fatty residue off skull between boiling cycles helps....also...wrap base of antlers with aluminum foil to help reduce fatty grease crud ring from collecting on base of antlers...not perfect but helps....changing water several times helps too...which may be challenging if your in a remote area... something to plan for and consider.) Good luck on your hunt!!

dgolden

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? My dad and I are driving to CO for elk this year. I don't know that we'll have time to simmer skulls but I don't want to pay $500 to have a taxidermist clean and ship my skull. If nothing else we can just cap it and clean the meat off.
I believe he charged $250 to do a euro and $250 to ship. I killed my bull on the last day and right at dark. I dropped it off at the taxidermy on the way out of town. It hurt my feelings to spend that much, but I needed it done.

AT Hiker

If you really want to clean a skull cap you could always pack a dremel tool, propane torch and some borax. I've asked a few different wildlife officers what a "clean" skull was, I got a few different answers.
My definition of a clean house vs my wife's is different…

Out of state skull mounts are more intensive and the car wash process is great, but I'm starting to think it's counter intuitive to stopping the spread of CWD, something to ponder.

DoubleRidge

That's cheap! $1k to clean and ship back to TN is the latest rate I've seen.

Wow....it truly has become a rich man sport....I guess if someone had a flight to catch your options would be limited....but if I was driving I'd be staying an extra day and boiling the skull myself.....but it sure sounds like a great business opportunity for some local young guy that don't mind getting his hands dirty!!

AT Hiker

Wow....it truly has become a rich man sport....I guess if someone had a flight to catch your options would be limited....but if I was driving I'd be staying an extra day and boiling the skull myself.....but it sure sounds like a great business opportunity for some local young guy that don't mind getting his hands dirty!!
To put some context on the actual cost, time and perspective of doing a elk skull.
  • Shipping is probably 60% of that $1k
  • I will not touch a whitetail skull for less than $125
  • To do a out of state elk you'll need a propane tank, huge pot, water source and plenty of time. Unless your killing/cleaning more than one elk it's not much more to pay someone to clean it. If you have to factor in a hotel and your time then it's a wash at best.
  • I prefer to do my own and if equipment and time permit I'd rather do it.
  • Holding a mature elk skull in your hands is a humbling experience and will test your skull cleaning abilities

Latest posts