Stands

Bulldog25

Ok so looking to pick up a stand or stands this weekend but can't decide on what to do.

1) 2-3 $59 15' stands
2) 1 $111 Summit 1.5 man stand
3) 1 $126 Summit 2 man stand
4) 1 $179 Summit Viper climber

Already have 1 15' stand and a built stand on the property(100+ acres) and have a pop up blind and can't decide what to get now.

BSK

I'm a hard-core ladder stand user. But that's because 1) I'm getting old, and ladder stands are the easiest to climb in and out of; 2) I'm getting older and I hate using climbing stands; and 3) I've spent years accumulating A LOT of ladder stands, so I have many stands up to hunt.

However, if I were younger and had few stands, I would ABSOLUTELY start with a good-quality climber. They give you far more freedom to hunt new locations, and that can really be critical to success. The biggest mistake most hunters make is hunting the same spots over and over. To be highly successful, in most situations, requires staying mobile, and a climber is the best way to be mobile.

Bulldog25

Thanks. I figured I would benefit most from the climber but also thought getting 3 cheap ladder stands seems like it would serve a similar purpose with less work. I've never used a climber but I'll have all off season to practice.

BSK

Bulldog25 said:
Thanks. I figured I would benefit most from the climber but also thought getting 3 cheap ladder stands seems like it would serve a similar purpose with less work. I've never used a climber but I'll have all off season to practice.

As I "first" stand, climbers are the bomb. Once you've got a nice climber, then start adding ladder stands, one or two a year. Eventually you'll have enough of them you won't need to use the climber any more.

I started "collecting" ladder stands about 15 years ago. I've now got enough of them up in the woods that I can hunt a different stand every time I go hunting over an entire season without ever hunting the same stand twice.

ImThere

If its your property and know where the deer are buy ladders. if its the only place you hunt buy ladders. If you are still needing to be mobile buy the summit.

deerhunter10

for me I would buy the three ladder stands if it is a lease or your land and then buy a summit titan goliath or viper and just start adding ladder stand throughout. three stands give you way more options and are way easier then carrying a climber everywhere. I feel like a buy a stand about every month lol its almost an addiction and always new spots and setting up for different winds.

monsterbuck07

deerhunter10 said:
for me I would buy the three ladder stands if it is a lease or your land and then buy a summit titan goliath or viper and just start adding ladder stand throughout. three stands give you way more options and are way easier then carrying a climber everywhere. I feel like a buy a stand about every month lol its almost an addiction and always new spots and setting up for different winds.

Actually a climber would give him way more options than just three ladder stands, he could be a lot more mobile.