squash bugs

population control

i have a problem with them dadgum things every year, and am lucky to get 2-3 good messes off of 6 plants, and then the squash bugs wear it out and kills them . once they get on the plants there's no stopping them . hopefully somebody knows how to kill em .

catman529

it's hard, I like to kill them when I see them, also the eggs are football shaped and laid in small mats about 1/2 inch wide usually...most often on the upper side of the leaves. the eggs are barely more than 1-2 mm in length. Hope this helps. also I haven't tried any pesticides other than a homebrew garlic tea with cayenne, dish soap and a bit of egg to make it stick to the leaves.

Dodge Man

I hate them things! They will take over if you don't keep on them everyday. Once they get going I can't get rid of them either! The problem with 7 spray and dust is it is a contact spray and if you get a new bug on the plant after you spray than you will have to spray again the kill it. If you us it you have to spray 3 or more times a week to keep them knocked off.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I have problems with them also.When they are young the sevin or soap seems to work well to kill them.1 table spoon of alchol per gallon of mix will soften thier shells and make the sevin or soap more effective. The mature bugs need something stronger.
I try to keep my garden as organic as possible. The war should begin before you ever see the mature bugs.
If you cover your squash plants early, when 1st planted it will prevent the moths from laying eggs on your plants.You can make a tent for indiviual plants or use a floating row cover for alot of plants.
I also have problem with squash vine borers. When you 1st see the little holes on the vine where it goes in the ground you can very carefully slit the vine and dig the the borer out. Then cover the injured part of the vine with dirt and it will grow new roots.
Because of the trouble and hassle with bugs and borers I always plan on planting my squash several times.1st crop in early spring a 2nd crop in late spring,and sometimes a 3rd planting in early to mid summer.When A plant starts looking bad and infested I pull it up and burn it.Don't put old squash plants in the compost or you will have the same problems next year.

Pam

well that is what tore mine up then, I did the 7 dust, hope some of these other suggestions will work this year