Squash Beetle remedies

DaveB

I gave up trying to plant zucchini. None survived these damned insects. Yellow Z is great, better than green IMO.

I invested a lot of effort to beat them down. And you are right, I think what it takes to kill them makes the fruited vine inedible. I read where you have to start eradication last year to have a hope for this year.

I do not know if the Diatomaceous Earth is really helpful or not but ANYTHING non poisonous to humans is worth a try. Get the smallest diameter you can.

And good luck.

DaveB

I did not try natural eco-friendly methods. The first year I was ignorant and mostly amazed because tomato's, radishes, onions, & peppers weren't bothered at all. The next year I tried some walmart available bug killers and they wiped me out again. The remainder of the year I sprayed with Malathion and there wasn't anything moving or crawling in my back yard. I kept that up and they still got to me. Oh, and I kept a zapper-unit going non-stop for months.

I would be very interested in learning how to beat them.

Widowmaker

I used DE in my garden last year. But, I made a mixture of DE and water, then sprayed it on all my plants with a small hand sprayer. You have to be careful around the flowers, but other than that, it was a miracle worker. It saved a lot of my plants and it didnt take a daily application for me. I usually had to reapply weekly or after a hard rain.

Widowmaker

Interesting. So, the idea was that once the water evaporated, the DE residue was left covering the plant (minus the flower)? Did you have a mixture ratio? I wouldn't mind trying that.[/quote]

Yes, that's how it worked. I'll have to find the article/mixture. But, I'll get it to you.

Widowmaker

That's how I did mine, Poser. I haven't read anything that states you have to reapply every X amount of days. The milky color will fade, but if you rub the plant leaves you should be able to feel/see it. If you have a major problem I would definitely err on the side that more is better. I don't know a downfall of having too much on the plant.

catman529

I forgot about squash bugs. I hate those things. But still have got a good crop of winter squash and pumpkins in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

Watching this thread carefully beause the DE seems like such a perfect solution, assuming it works.

Think I may get my gear and work up an area in my back yard. I'll start off by using the last of my Malathion on everything green.

catman529

Poser":1xyay978 said:
More squirrel damage this morning. Tore up 2 tomato plants. Hello spring squirrel season.
you don't need a season if they're damaging your property

WTM

which type of insects are you having trouble with? there basically 2 types that affect cucibers, the squash bug and the vine borer?b squash bugs lay copper colored eggs on the leaves and suck the juices from the leaves and stems. no known organic insecticide will kill them. the way i control them is to scrape the eggs from the leaves and in the evening i pick the bugs from the plants. i also lay a piece of 2x4 beside the plants and check when the sun is high. usually they are under the board and i kill them. if you are infested sevin or worry free will control them.

vine borers are moths they lay a single copper egg at the root stem. spraying the root stemm with neem oil or applying Btk will usually do the trick. you can also try screen or weed cloth wrapp arond the stem but if they are in the ground then it wont do any good. the best thing that i have found to prevent these nasties is to rotate my squash rows every year. if the larvae cant find a plant when they emerge they will usually die.

another thing i usually do that seems to help is much the plants heavily with wheat straw.

WTM

thats a squash bug aka stink bug. some mistake the cucumber beetle between the two which is why i asked. yes straw can give them habitat but if you pull the straw aways a bit from the root stem and put down a short piece of 2x4 they will hide under the board on cool nights. then in the am look under the board and if you have any dump them in a bucket of soapy water. you can also use insecticide soap to kill adults. i also lightly sprayed with chrysanthium pyrethrin to kill the ones i missed.

which today after reading this thread again checked my 25 yell crook and straights and picked about 15 adults and checked under the under side of leaves and scraped all the eggs. you guys probably saved my squash crop this year and dont even know it. i believe the bugs have come early this year. vine borer sticky boards are going down tomorrow.

my son used DE to kill his fire ants and after doing some reading today it may very well be a very good natural garden insecticide that i will have to try. i only thought that it killed beetle type exoskeletal insects. it might work on the vine borer.

catman529

Poser":1g5jis8e said:
Widowmaker":1g5jis8e said:
Looking good, Poser!!! How often are you having to spray?

I'm spraying regularly, daily sometimes to keep up with new leaf growth. Could be that I'm being overly paranoid, but I want to win this battle. I also sift some DE on the trunk and around the plant base. The beatles I have found thus far tend to be hanging around the trunk.
where did you find the Beatles?

WTM

its a moderate insecicide, it may work some its only active for 2-3 days which is a good thing. ive use it for sweet corn cut worms. Sevin is better on beetle type insects at it lasts for 2-3 days(will not kill aphids)(this is what i was taught to garden with as my grandparents used it. they lived to be in their late 90's so i dont think it hurts humans. pyrethoids such as permethrin would be probably best as is listed on some ag sites as being good for squash bugs and vine borers, but its a strong insecticide and lasts for 7-10 days. i wont particularly use it as ive never had that large of a pest problem(unless the dog gets fleas bad)

WTM

update on the pyrethin aka chrysanthimum extract aka worry free by sevin. it doesnt appear to kill squash bugs well enough to be effective(i guess the ag guide was correct). i know i didnt kill 2 of them on one plant yesterday after spraying directly on a mating pair. found them both and a new batch of eggs.

Latest posts