Squash Beetle remedies

WTM

Poser":27l67bn4 said:
Used some duct tape to remove a nest of larvae this morning. Does anyone know how long their egg laying cycle lasts? Is it ongoing through the summer months or a relatively short window?

if they are squash bugs like in the pic they will be there all summer. when fall comes the adults will try to find something to hide under for winter. this is where garden cleanup is important. till mulch or hay into soil or remove it along with any other garden debris. this is where the boards i menioned come in handy, as you can catch about all of them before winter and have less problems wih them next season. keep vigilant and pick off any adults you find and scrape the eggs off from undersides of the leaves.

vine borer i think has only one cycle. the moth emerges from the cocoon from where the squash were planted then lays 1-3 eggs at the bas of the plant. larvae hatches and bores into the stem and lives there until its ready to cocoon into the soil again for next year.

gtk

Staff member
Dang a bunch of squash bugs.. I skipped a few days of checking my squash (fish were biting) , and went to the garden yest.. Out of 6 squash plants, I have exactly 0 living now. :bash: I give up

DaveB

DaveB":zs147gca said:
I gave up trying to plant zucchini. None survived these damned insects.
I invested a lot of effort to beat them down.

Very very sorry to read that post Poser. I have no bright ideas and believe me I have been looking for a long time.

I use this for insect control and you would think this is the solution, it is a nasty insecticide, it even kills birds that eat the earthworms that die from contact. And yet I have never harvested a single zucchini in Memphis

Latest posts