Food Plots Spray method

DoubleRidge

Yes...we've done it many times...with glysophate which is neutralized when it touches the soil....it only kills growing plants... doesn't harm seed....we sow into grass that's not too tall though.... with the idea being after the grass browns that it will lay down and create a mulch layer over the seed but like Popcorn mentioned...the grass or weeds need to be growing to get a good kill..... ideally the grass your sowing into isn't too tall.......if it's taller...spray a week before you sow....then mow the brown thatch over the seed you just sowed... ideally just before a heavy rain......in other words...I would not mow grass that I just applied glysophate too in the same day...give the spray an opportunity to kill the grass....then let it lay down naturally as it browns...or if it's taller grass spray it the week before and mow it down the day you sow seed.

Last edited:

hitek7

I wouldn't think it would work very well to spray and mow on the same day. Unless sprayed early and mowed late. Would think it would need time for weed/grass to pull in chemicals before mowing. Don't see where there would be other negative effects.

BSK

I wouldn't think it would work very well to spray and mow on the same day. Unless sprayed early and mowed late. Would think it would need time for weed/grass to pull in chemicals before mowing. Don't see where there would be other negative effects.
I have done the opposite, mowed then sprayed immediately afterwards. The only down side is all of mowed grass forms a mulch over the mowed stalks and protects it from the spray. You will still get a decent kill, but not like if you had sprayed days before mowing, or waited days after mowing, to spray.

Latest posts