Food Plots Spray or Mow First?

Spurhunter

We are going to do some spraying and bushhogging Saturday to get ready for planting in early September. Should I bushhog the plots first, then spray, or just spray Saturday and bushhog in a few weeks? It would be nice to get both done Saturday, but if the Round Up is going to work better if I don't bushhog first I'll do that. Thanks.

Jcalder

I'm not sure it matters. I've had good luck mowing and spraying afterwards on the same day. Last year, I think I sprayed before I mowed. Can't say there was a lot of difference. Either way beats mowing and disking the same day lol.

DoubleRidge

I bushhogged several plots one week ago.... we'll spray just before planting them in late August or early September. But we're doing spray, sow and mow with our fall blends.....I want a good kill just before planting.

BSK

Depends on how tall the growth is. If it is a couple of feet tall, spraying before mowing will not kill any weeds/grasses down near the ground. If I have tall growth in a plot, I bushhog first, wait a week for new growth to grow above the mowed duff, and then spray.

Now if I'm spreading seed and then mowing, I will spray immediately.

DoubleRidge

Depends on how tall the growth is. If it is a couple of feet tall, spraying before mowing will not kill any weeds/grasses down near the ground. If I have tall growth in a plot, I bushhog first, wait a week for new growth to grow above the mowed duff, and then spray.

Now if I'm spreading seed and then mowing, I will spray immediately.

Agree....plots we bushhogged recently were waist high in places....so I dropped bushhog low and chopped them up good....hope is they grow back up below knee high for the spray, sow and mow process.... actually sometimes it's just spray and sow....the standing thatch, if short or young enough...will just lay down... especially if we get a good timely rain....if thatch is taller and won't lay down flat I'll mow it over seed.... obviously rain is key.

Latest posts