Food Plots Spray and throw soybeans?

buckaroo

My 3/4 acre not RR soybean plot I disced in is pretty much weeds, will I have any luck spraying and spreading on top of ground? Thanks

backyardtndeer

You will have poor germination if you don't cover them. You can broadcast and have them do fine, but they need to be covered. A 3/4 acre plot might be fine if you don't have a high density. I have planted smaller plots and had them do just fine.

buckaroo

You will have poor germination if you don't cover them. You can broadcast and have them do fine, but they need to be covered. A 3/4 acre plot might be fine if you don't have a high density. I have planted smaller plots and had them do just fine.
I'm afraid to disc again it may bring up more weeds, I guess I have no choice

DoubleRidge

Ive done spray and sow soybean before and got decent coverage but this particular plot was around one acre and not much Ag in the area so once deer found them they mowed them down lip high......but the coverage over the beans I had was thick dead thatch that laid down on its own after being sprayed and we got a heavy rain which help mat the thatch as well....would have worked if the deer would have left them alone.
Also, I agree with wildlifefarmer, buckwheat has probably been the best spray and sow seed choice we've ever experimented with....great soil builder, smothers out weeds and the deer will use it but wont mow it down....also the dove and turkey love it.

Hunter0678

My 3/4 acre not RR soybean plot I disced in is pretty much weeds, will I have any luck spraying and spreading on top of ground? Thanks
So, you have disc'd this plot once and had it come back in weeds....right? You can spray it strong with roundup now, let it sit a week and then mow it, spread your seed and disc it again to disc the seed in. I would stay away from soybeans on a plot that small, they will devour the young sprouts leaving you another weed field. As suggested above, go with either buckwheat or if you really want a pea look at cow peas, deer dont feed on them young like soybeans, also if you plant them with something tall they will vine up it. Ive got about 3 acres of cow pea's and sorghum going in next week along with I just finishing up my millet this past weekend for the dove field. Ill have a post on it in a few days.

BSK

I won't waste my time or money with the beans. Try buckwheat then in the fall go with cc clover and some kind of small grain.
That's exactly what I'm doing. Broadcasting buckwheat into seeded out crimson clover and wheat and then mowing. What grows grows and what doesn't doesn't. But then I'm in the somewhat unique situation in that I'm not feeding that many deer during the summer. My local deer population changes dramatically from summer (low population) to fall (high population). My fall plots are much more important than summer plots.

BSK

Co-op made a mistake in my favor. I called and they said they didn't have any Buckwheat. Then they called back and said they found 30 bags that weren't in their digital inventory. Bought what I needed at Buckwheat prices, but when I went to plant I realized they had sold me the wrong seed. Turned out Buckwheat was the first seed listed, but it was actually a mixture of Buckwheat, soybeans, Lab Lab and sorghum. I'm experimenting and just broadcast the seed and mowed existing plot growth (mainly grasses, but also dead seeded out crimson clover and wheat) down on top. Have no idea if any of it will germinate, but worth a try. Dusty dry mowing yesterday but got rain on it last night.

Latest posts