Food Plots Throw and grow

BigRod

Ok so I'm back to get y'all's feedback. I've been lookin at my options and I was wondering about this stuff I found on bass pro. Pros? cons? Any opinions on this stuff? I'll probably get 10 pounds of this stuff depending on what y'all say. Thanks guys

@BSK @TheLBLman

Attachments

• EB8CF589-539B-46B4-9A10-5EDE3C32BFE5.png
    EB8CF589-539B-46B4-9A10-5EDE3C32BFE5.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 59

BSK

Ryegrass is a quick-growing grass, and looks pretty, but deer don't eat much of it. Go with wheat and/or Elbon (cereal) rye. Personally, I like a mixture of VNS Wheat and Crimson Clover. And for Throw and Mow, use a substantial seeding rate, such as 100 lbs of wheat (or rye, or a mixture of the two) per acre and 20 lbs of Crimson Clover per acre.

megalomaniac

Don't waste your money on throw and grow. It's just ryegrass. Buy a 50lb bag for a quarter per pound of the cost of the fancy stuff.

South MS hunters are experts when it comes to ryegrass for deer. It ABSOLUTELY attracts deer from pinestraw habitats, even if there is almost no usable nutritive value for deer. I dunno about TN, as I only used it once a few years ago on a new plot I dozed in early October, needed the erosion control, needed something that would come up fast. I used the 'Fria' version, and it was lush! Deer didn't find the new plot until it was 6w old and a thick 6in carpet, but they camped on that plot from Dec till Feb. It produced a ton of organic matter that improved my soils, and I didn't get enough reseeding to be bothersome the following fall when I put in my first real plot in that area.

I've heard 'winter grazer' variety produces well in TN, but haven't tried it.

The big plus about ryegrass is that it will grow on concrete if you get a little moisture... thats why it's in the 'throw and grow' mixes. I've seen some nice stands in the back of pickup trucks that spillage germinated and grew well.

BSK

Don't waste your money on throw and grow. It's just ryegrass. Buy a 50lb bag for a quarter per pound of the cost of the fancy stuff.

South MS hunters are experts when it comes to ryegrass for deer. It ABSOLUTELY attracts deer from pinestraw habitats, even if there is almost no usable nutritive value for deer. I dunno about TN, as I only used it once a few years ago on a new plot I dozed in early October, needed the erosion control, needed something that would come up fast. I used the 'Fria' version, and it was lush! Deer didn't find the new plot until it was 6w old and a thick 6in carpet, but they camped on that plot from Dec till Feb. It produced a ton of organic matter that improved my soils, and I didn't get enough reseeding to be bothersome the following fall when I put in my first real plot in that area.

I've heard 'winter grazer' variety produces well in TN, but haven't tried it.

The big plus about ryegrass is that it will grow on concrete if you get a little moisture... thats why it's in the 'throw and grow' mixes. I've seen some nice stands in the back of pickup trucks that spillage germinated and grew well.
In the Deep South, ryegrass food plots are a staple, and perform well. But as Mega mentioned, that's primarily because these are mostly Industrial Pine plantation properties. In essence, there's very little else to eat once the fall/winter die-back of weeds occurs. However, I haven't seen ryegrass perform well at all in the MidSouth.

TNTreeman

I prefer oats and wheat myself but I've planted several acres of Marshal rye in poor soil and had it do very well and the deer loved it. I plant mine in late Sept or Oct. Prob not a ton of nutrition but they seem to like the green stuff. Try to stay away from buying seeds with pictures of big deer racks on it.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I planted it once and they ate it like candy. It was a small plot and nothing made it to bow season. I would still use wheat and clover instead of the Throw and Grow, but the deer hear ate it all.

Latest posts