Food Plots Food plot transition zones and feathered edges

BSK

Great pictures and great example dogtown!

I've tried growing Iron and Clay peas as well as Cowpeas in the past, and the deer ate them to the ground the minute they grew lip-high. But that was back when I had very little acreage in food plots. May try them again now that I've tripled my acreage.

DoubleRidge

I sometimes put a 15 foot wide ring of sorghum, sunflower, and iron clay peas around my soybeans. Some of my best plot use is in years when the ring grows high. In dry years the deer hit the plots early and the ring may get overbrowsed.

The clay peas get hammered after the soybeans start to yellow, but die at first frost.
Fantastic looking food plots dogtown....really nice in so many ways....food, edge feathering, cover and diversity.

DeerCamp

Different "trends" in management practices come and go as new ideas hit the management world. A really big trend for a while was creating "ecotones" or feathered edges around food plots. Basically, this just means creating a transitioning set of habitat types that produce some cover around the edges of food plots. The goal was to increase daylight use of these food plots under the theory that deer are more likely to step out into a plot in daylight if they have some type of thick cover right up against the edge of the plot. Looking at observation data from my own property, food plots that have thick cover directly adjacent tend to produce higher deer sighting rates than plots that are surrounded by big open hardwoods.

In the past, I never had "food plot acreage to spare" when it came to producing such transition zones. But now I do have some to spare. I've been considering leaving tall-growing summer crops standing around the edges of the plots. This coming spring, I plan on planting a mixture of beans and sorghum in my summer plots, and come fall, leaving at least one or two bush-hog widths of the sorghum standing around the outer edge of the plots. Has anyone tried this and do you believe it was effective in getting deer to use the plots more in daylight?
Several years back I used Egyptian wheat to create screening after creating a new food plot. It's anecdotal but I feel like it did help the deer feel more comfortable staying in the plots.

Now i have new neighbors that just logged their place. I'm going to have to create some pretty intense screening between us and them since I can see their new fields through the end of the food plot now. That and their kids and dogs like to roam and sighting in that food plot are down quite a bit this year.

Here was the plot as it was being cleared.

1704222329206.png

Wheat as its first starting to come up (still burning the piles)

1704222416009.png

Best pic I have of the created effect, though this is on the top of the plot looking at a slightly different area.

1704222498657.png