Food Plots fertilizing edges

diamond hunter

Ive been thinking about the food plots and acreage amounts and fertilizer. Would I benefit from fertilizing field edges,roads,and places that dont usually get fertilizer? I know for my acreage amount that I dont keep enough food plots dedicated to deer.

BSK

Absolutely. Had a client that "daylighted" (cut the timber back 10-15 yards) every road on his property and fertilized and limed them. Only problem was, that drew every deer on the property to the roads!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I am a big fan of fertilizing the edges and do it every year. Edges of plots, fields, roads. It's a great way to add substantial amounts of natural browse deer prefer. As always, today I fertilized my clover plots and on my first pass I hug the edges to throw the fertilizer into the native stuff. This late I use 6-24-24 on my clover plots so it's not going to waste. Next spring I will target edges with 19-19-19. It's a great idea!

BSK

I am a big fan of fertilizing the edges and do it every year. Edges of plots, fields, roads. It's a great way to add substantial amounts of natural browse deer prefer. As always, today I fertilized my clover plots and on my first pass I hug the edges to throw the fertilizer into the native stuff. This late I use 6-24-24 on my clover plots so it's not going to waste. Next spring I will target edges with 19-19-19. It's a great idea!
Since all my food plots are on long, narrow ridge-tops, hence are long and narrow themselves, I can't help but fertilize the edges. Lime/fertilizer trucks throw such a wide swath that even driving right down the middle of my plots, they are throwing considerable lime and fertilizer into the woods.

Latest posts